#1 2015-10-02 03:19:45

Catpain_Blackadder
United States
Windows 7 Firefox 41.0

Rule against attacking main

I would like to get some clarification on the rule against attacking uncapturable main bases, particularly regarding returning fire.

Battlefield 1942 Server Rules wrote:

- Attacking the enemy uncapturable main base (basecamping or basebombing) is not allowed. You must not snipe at the main base. You are not allowed to shoot at planes during take-off. All other vehicles must be given the opportunity to leave their base. Nevertheless, it's permitted to air strike at a fireing AA gun or a shooting artillery that's inside the base.

The rule only mentions air strikes to return fire.  Can other weapons, such as artillery or tanks, be used to return fire as well?  If so, are there any weapons that are not allowed?

Also, the rule doesn't specifically mention returning fire on units other than AA or artillery, such as snipers.  Is that also allowed, and if so can they only be sniped back, or can any weapon be used?

What happens if there is "collateral damage" during one of these attacks?  Is it forbidden to hit other nearby units, or are they fair game?

Finally, is it ever permitted to go onto the enemy main for the purpose of killing an enemy that is firing from the base, such as to put an expack on artillery or to kill a sniper up close?  If so, in what circumstances is it allowed?

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2015-10-02 07:02:17

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States
Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11.0

Re: Rule against attacking main

Here is one that is clear:

http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3152

see post 8 from FoS
it should cover all of your posted items above.

There will never be a fine line rule that quantifies every particular scenario, nor do I think (just my opinion) that we would want one....it might
take the fun out of the game!  We are here to have fun!!!

#3 2015-10-02 09:34:46

Russ
Jack-of-all-trades
United States
Ubuntu Chromium 46.0

It gets really bad on Berlin when someone in the allied base wants to camp in the base with the tank. It's an open invitation to spam the whole spawn with nades. By the rules, it's open season. That said, camping in the allied base with the allied tank is one of the most annoying behaviors I've seen, and there are some players that it's all they do when they are on Berlin.

#4 2015-10-02 17:43:58

Catpain_Blackadder
United States
Linux Firefox 41.0

ATF_SurrenderMonkey wrote:

Here is one that is clear:

http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3152

see post 8 from FoS

Thanks, SurrenderMonkey.  I remember that discussion, but didn't remember whether everything was decided.  Using it to answer my questions:

No, you may return fire with any weapon or vehicle at your disposal; and yes, you may return fire at any unit firing any weapon, or from any vehicle, inside a base.

Regarding "collateral damage," I actually commented in the previous topic about this:

Catpain_Blackadder wrote:
RSDAdam wrote:

This is what's up!
Look at the red line, you came with the B17 and bombed everybody around me. So...my kick is fair, I think.

http://postimg.org/image/prva34pub/

If that is so, then a good strategy to use to fire across the river with impunity is just to have a teammate or two stand next to your tank during your barrage.

No one contradicted my point that if units around a firing unit weren't also fair game, then they could be used as "human shields," so I take it that nearby units are in fact fair game as well.

On going onto the enemy base, I'm still not sure about this one, as I have been on both sides of this issue.  I get the impression, though, that it is allowed to actually enter the enemy base for purposes of "neutralizing" someone who is firing from it.  Is that correct?

Last edited by Catpain_Blackadder (2015-10-02 17:44:53)

#5 2015-10-02 17:55:30

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States

See your post here about collateral damage Sept 11 and the answer by some admin type:

http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3313

Post #7

#6 2015-10-02 18:08:54

Oscar Goldman
United States
Windows 7 Firefox 37.0

"Your honor, the party of the first part was firing BACK at the party of the second part, due the fact the party of the second part was firing at the party of the first part. When such retaliatory firing commenced by the party of the first part upon the party of the second part, we do concede that parties of the third part were injured. However, having conceded the point, it can be said that their attendance, in the vicinity of the party of the second party, was an assumed risk, and no damages should be awarded due to the results of the actions of the party of the first part. I rest my case."

10139142-large.jpg

#7 2015-10-02 20:03:18

Maasika
Finland
Windows 8.1 Chrome 45.0

No one contradicted my point that if units around a firing unit weren't also fair game, then they could be used as "human shields," so I take it that nearby units are in fact fair game as well.

IMHO nope, there is no such thing in this game as "acceptable collateral damage in mainbase attack" For example in B-axe, you´re in plane and try to bomb active AA but you miss and kill a plane in ground and a couple of planewhores waiting in line => !kbase of course..
So choose your weapon and aim well before attack...

And please give admins some credit, nobody is gonna kick you if you kill one engy with that wespe that was shooting from mainbase, they know better, they have years of experience in this game...

But if you kill ppl in main all the time...

On going onto the enemy base, I'm still not sure about this one, as I have been on both sides of this issue.  I get the impression, though, that it is allowed to actually enter the enemy base for purposes of "neutralizing" someone who is firing from it.  Is that correct?

IMHO no, theres ammo boxes so you dont have to use knife for that fancy sniper kill and in my opinion stealing enemy tanks etc. is same as attacking so its a no-no too. So why you go to enemy base if u cant kill or steal anything?

Just my 2€

#8 2015-10-02 20:48:32

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 45.0

Maasika wrote:

IMHO no, theres ammo boxes so you dont have to use knife for that fancy sniper kill and in my opinion stealing enemy tanks etc. is same as attacking so its a no-no too. So why you go to enemy base if u cant kill or steal anything?

Just my 2€

You need more money Maasika.  Of course you can go into base to neutrilize that wespe with your bazooka.  You kill other players next to that wespe, its kick for base. 

Of course you can steal vehicles, planes (where there is no death bubble) IF you are not killing in the base. You kill someone, its kick for base.

You decide to drive your jeep through the enemy base and run over players?  it's kick for base....

others??

#9 2015-10-07 07:09:41

Archer!
Player
Canada
Windows 7 Firefox 41.0

Swoop killing main allowed?  Yes/No?

Discuss

#10 2015-10-07 07:14:41

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States

swoop killing allowed main base, yes/no...... no/....and yes...

ATF_SurrenderMonkey wrote:

See your post here about collateral damage Sept 11 and the answer by some admin type:

http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3313

Post #7

#11 2015-10-07 15:59:21

Catpain_Blackadder
United States
Linux Firefox 41.0

Archer! wrote:

Discuss

What is swoop killing?

#12 2015-10-07 16:22:12

BoS
Player
United States
Windows 8.1 Firefox 40.0

Its when a pilot lowers his/her plane down to ground level and kills ppl by dragging them.  He/she is not really attacking but flying at lower levels.

#13 2015-10-07 16:53:20

Catpain_Blackadder
United States
Linux Firefox 41.0

BoS wrote:

Its when a pilot lowers his/her plane down to ground level and kills ppl by dragging them.  He/she is not really attacking but flying at lower levels.

That's what I thought it probably meant.  I've seen that many times, but I always thought the victim was killed by the impact.  I would call it an attack since it's pretty much the same as running someone over with a jeep, and I don't think you can drive a jeep onto the enemy main and start running people down.

Separate from the base attack issue, in my opinion it's at least cheap and might even be considered glitching because it does no damage to the plane (compare real-life damage due to bird strikes).  I would not mind at all if it weren't allowed.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#14 2015-10-07 16:57:40

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States

Archer! wrote:

Discuss

Q1L5Aue.gif

#15 2015-10-07 22:17:40

joint
Ukraine
Windows 7 Firefox 8.0

BoS wrote:

its was me who invented it

#16 2015-10-08 02:31:53

PitViper
TGE|
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 45.0

You smoke too much dope if you believe that. tongue

#17 2015-10-08 08:46:34

joint
Ukraine
Windows XP Firefox 8.0

PitViper wrote:

You smoke too much dope if you believe that. tongue

oh yeah?
from now on i forbid you to use my finding!
blame yourself- your doubts caused my soul torment

#18 2015-10-26 08:11:56

GoodDayToDie
Player
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 46.0

Oh you guise......

Board footer