#1 2023-05-27 14:56:57

Paul Baumer
guardian angel
Ukraine
Windows 7 Opera 95.0

SiMPLE blind test: your feedback!

https://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic … 31#p187131
Please comment with your feedback below if you like to participate and describe your experience during blind test and whether it was different compared to your regular gameplay on SiMPLE. That will help us to find out optimal settings and solutions for the server, cheers!

Which day did you feel a better hit registration?

1. Saturday
  2. Sunday
  3. No difference whatsoever
Total votes: 21

Poll is closed

Positive reputation 2   Negative reputation 0

#91 2023-06-17 13:53:39

deeko
Player
Estonia
Android Chrome 114.0

Re: SiMPLE blind test: your feedback!

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#92 2023-06-18 04:38:22

Player
Windows 7 Firefox 89.0

I see certain players with low ping and good hitregs complaining about regs in here 24/7.

It’s greed.

Better regs ... We want better regs ..... Our advantage isn’t big enough. We want bigger ......

What about all those newcomers/poorly skilled players with high ping and bad regs who get killed constantly. They don’t come here whining all the time.

Maybe the Simple founder has made changes to regs and delay to even things out. Maybe not.

If it has been done, then it’s ok and fair. Why should the good reg - low pingers dominate all the time .....

Skilled infs have never been a big part of the player base in Simple, aX, Moongamers, etc. Not in 2012, not now. It’d be unjust to give too large benefits to this small group.

#93 2023-06-19 02:17:56

Russian MadMax
Mad cuz bad
Russia
iOS Safari 16.1

Saturday : it was terrible, there were no regs , ping was 80-90.
Sunday : the ping was 100-110 , the reconnect helped reduce it to my 60-66 , there were no regs at all, what can I do with them? I burned up like a chicken in the oven. Maybe need to change something in the settings, computer, OS ?(me win7)

Last edited by Russian MadMax (2023-06-19 02:18:33)

#94 2023-06-19 02:24:37

Russian MadMax
Mad cuz bad
Russia
iOS Safari 16.1

BFSoldier 1 wrote:

I see certain players with low ping and good hitregs complaining about regs in here 24/7.

It’s greed.

Better regs ... We want better regs ..... Our advantage isn’t big enough. We want bigger ......

What about all those newcomers/poorly skilled players with high ping and bad regs who get killed constantly. They don’t come here whining all the time.

Maybe the Simple founder has made changes to regs and delay to even things out. Maybe not.

If it has been done, then it’s ok and fair. Why should the good reg - low pingers dominate all the time .....

Skilled infs have never been a big part of the player base in Simple, aX, Moongamers, etc. Not in 2012, not now. It’d be unjust to give too large benefits to this small group.

It 's easy to say to a person who never had a problem with them, and even your bad aim, allowing you to just spray in the way of the opponent gives you the right to win
But if I do that, I'll p00p myself, and the regs will tell me "sorry, bro, not today" or rather "never"

Last edited by Russian MadMax (2023-06-19 02:25:56)

#95 2023-06-20 08:25:35

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 10 Firefox 114.0

I remember when my isp started campaigning for woip-telephony and tv-over-internet boxes, these things took a lot of bandwith and also was prioritized in their networks, so all of a sudden gaming went from good to sheit like from one day to the other.

Applications Have Distinct Needs
• E-mail is tolerant of delay, but every bit of data
must ultimately be delivered correctly.
• For real time WWW traffic, delay must be low,
but moderate variability of delay is permissible.
• Real time Voice over IP (VoIP) and video are
tolerant of modest loss, but intolerant of large
and variable delay

Cross-Provider Differentiated Services
• Internet services today are best-efforts.
• Commoditized service, with marginal price equal to
marginal cost.
• Differentiated services are of limited value today.
– Best-efforts are good efforts, so little incremental
advantage for differentiated services.
– Customers have no demonstrated propensity to pay a
premium for better CoS for data services.
– Better CoS for real time voice and video still interesting.
– CoS today is limited to a single provider’s network.

And so on.
https://www.oecd.org/digital/broadband/1894955.pdf

#96 2023-06-20 16:25:51

ABAS
disciple of Jeff
Pahlavi Iran
Website
Windows 10 Firefox 114.0

btw if any one wants to know more about lag and other stuff, this channel put the knowledge and tests to another level

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP7QY6 … -stL-pNFrw

this guy also analyses the codes of BF and COD maybe someone ask him about analysing the codes of bf42 aswell

Last edited by ABAS (2023-06-20 16:48:16)

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#97 2023-06-20 19:49:00

Paul Baumer
guardian angel
Ukraine
Windows 7 Opera 95.0

BFSoldier 1 wrote:

It’s greed.

Thanks for taking your time to post here instead of spawnkilling poor low skilled players that you are so sorry for while farming your kills on them to get gold and feed your ego. Greed, you're a funny guy... You talk almost like someone who doesn't scorewhore on server each time he plays, who plays on fucking win xp in 2023 just to have better regs and who didnt optimize his hardware and modded God knows which files in game folders for same purpose. You have better regs than majority of players, you worked your ass off to achieve that and with your extremely lame gameplay and 13 ping you better stay quiet about low pingers on good regs ruining games for poor average players and low skilled guys. You can't stand real good players because when they are around you can't really have fun scorewhoring others and reach gold medals by  farming newbies..

Positive reputation 3   Negative reputation 0

#98 2023-06-20 19:49:37

Paul Baumer
guardian angel
Ukraine
Windows 7 Opera 95.0

How can you not see that modding the whole server and making the regs for everyone consinstently worse, game more laggy and less smooth, basically making the game shit for all players  just to "nerf" a few players is the most possibly wrong move anyone can do to a public server and to a gaming community. Actually these few players for whom it all was meant for are in reality way less affected by those changes than the majority of players - their skills and game knowledge will help them to adapt but the majority of players are really getting fucked with these mods and before they understand what is wrong they will just leave..
If you don't want some players on your servers, ban them if you wish so. But don't kill your own servers trying to mod the skill and eventually the fun out of the game.

#99 2023-06-20 20:47:15

Player
Windows 7 Firefox 89.0

i did not intend to upset or antagonize you, paul, or anyone with those writings.

didn’t you say that you welcome criticism and debate in this forum recently ?

you may disagree with me, and you may not like what i say, but those are elements that come with a civilized, free, democratic and open society. something that ive always seen simple as.

all i did was to post slight criticism and to debate. there should be room for it.

i stand by my stance :

its fair and reasonable for a server admin to deliberately weaken some players damage output, and to strengthen others .... all in the name of balancing.

#100 2023-06-21 17:02:24

ABAS
disciple of Jeff
Pahlavi Iran
Website
Windows 10 Firefox 114.0

000 isnt totally wrong, his defense about less skilled players is laughable since he is one who plays most annoyingly vs them. but we cant decide 100% only on talks of few players. i dont think 000 is the one with god knows secrets in his pc

#101 2023-06-21 17:35:47

Paul Baumer
guardian angel
Ukraine
Windows 7 Opera 95.0

Can anyone tell us at least 1 advantage each of those mods ever gave to less skilled players or to at least whoever players?? If it was meant to nerf those with more skills and favour the new comers it simply didnt work because game suddenly became worse for EVERYONE. But ofc don't take head admin's word and community's feedback for granted, just watch how server becomes more empty everyday...
You wanna truly favour the new players and the majority of regulars? Make the game more SiMPLE and don't mod the damn regs, this game is beautiful as it was meant to be played.

#102 2023-06-21 17:58:36

Flasche
bf-league.eu
Austria
Android Chrome 114.0

ABAS wrote:

000 isnt totally wrong, his defense about less skilled players is laughable since he is one who plays most annoyingly vs them. but we cant decide 100% only on talks of few players. i dont think 000 is the one with god knows secrets in his pc

Amen

#103 2023-06-21 18:12:40

s/w
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 114.0

I don't get why someone even has the need to mod things like this to punish skilled players, which consequently ends up destroying the whole server, making it non-enjoyable for everyone. Where's the logic in that?

This situation reminds me a bit of moongamer's ultra lame ''rule'' to ground good pilots, so noobies can have the chance to waste the planes potential, and lose the round. lawl

Apparently some people like to waste so much time on pointless trivialities, or trying to find the ''secrets'' to good regs, instead of enjoying the game as it was meant to be in the first place.

#104 2023-06-21 20:05:58

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 10 Chrome 109.0

Paul Baumer wrote:

Can anyone tell us at least 1 advantage each of those mods ever gave ...

I can't tell you that, because i did not play on all those days.

For me, it does not really matter. As far as i see a worth take down, i go for it. smile

But what i can say, ... flying feels much better then before. Planes are easier to fly, specially Corsair for me, but also other planes. 

Those days i played Inf, it was not bad, definitely better then weeks ago.

Bazooka is still a Bazooka. smile

I did also not play all maps. But in general it made more fun to play for me then weeks ago. It feels not anymore that spongy like past years.

#105 2023-06-22 00:43:45

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 109.0

s/w wrote:

I don't get why someone even has the need to mod things like this to punish skilled players, which consequently ends up destroying the whole server, making it non-enjoyable for everyone. Where's the logic in that?

That is false. Let me try to clear this up. The fire deviation patch was not applied to punish any skilled player, it was meant to prevent a possible exploit in BF1942. Some estonians took a joke of mine way too seriously and started propagating the false claim they were being targetted by that fire dev patch, which had now ruined the gameplay for everyone. In my humble opinion, with a proper blind test no one will notice a difference if that patch is applied or not.

The packets increment patch was applied as an experiment and I sincerely thought it was an improvement overall. In theory it should be, but in reality it is not, maybe because of some synching between client and server. But, I concede it was not properly tested and any future patches should be thoroughly tested before ever applying them.

#106 2023-06-22 14:50:51

deeko
Player
Estonia
Android Chrome 114.0

tuia wrote:

In my humble opinion, with a proper blind test no one will notice a difference if that patch is applied or not.

tuia, you can try and provoke us all you want, but it's not going to get you any desired reaction

#107 2023-06-23 06:08:18

Black Mamba
Canada
iOS Safari 16.5

#108 2023-06-25 03:36:53

Player
Windows 7 Firefox 89.0

As mentioned before, besides server “lag”, there is also “lag” on a domestic computer.

It’s incorrect to attribute 100% of the total latencies and non-optimal regs to the gaming server.

I’d say that 100+ local PC settings and units can affect latencies and hitregs.

Most players are unaware of this.

Even though local improvements are possible, they’re difficult and time-consuming to perform.

Simplified illustrations:

01.png
02.png

#109 2023-06-25 13:51:08

Evilteddy
Player
Windows 10 Firefox 114.0

It's probably correct that the local latencies have an effect on the hit registrations and especially to the overall smoothness of the game. Still, with a game this old I'd assume that with average or even relatively low-end PC the latencies are negligible, with the OS being the most relevant factor.

Playing a game old enough to drink over a network and focusing on the local system sound like micro-optimizations with diminishing returns to me. Sure, some tweaks might improve gameplay, but most people don't have the know-how or motivation to tinker with the system.

As the Estonian boys mentioned, one can also see whether the problem is local or not by playing on another server and seeing if the issues persist. For myself, the hit registrations and gameplay are usually more consistent on MoonGamers, it's just somewhat annoying to compensate for the high ping.

That said, I do feel like blaming some undisclosed patches/mods is speculative as well, when the real problem could also be some routers/switches working strangely or other network-related issues, considering that some people seem to be more affected than others. Might be useful to try moving the server to different providers/data centers, but that is quite an effort and tuia is running the server on his own dime even as is. I certainly wouldn't bother smile

Positive reputation 3   Negative reputation 0

#110 2023-06-25 14:54:22

simon
est'own'ya
Estonia
Unknown Firefox 108.0

Cool theory. Come back and have a game on simple after you're done fantasizing. Reg is normal on simple

#111 2023-06-25 21:05:21

Evilteddy
Player
Windows 10 Firefox 114.0

simon wrote:

Cool theory. Come back and have a game on simple after you're done fantasizing. Reg is normal on simple

To clarify, I wasn't complaining about gameplay on simple. To me it seems about the same as before, barring the period some months back with constant connectivity issues. The feeling of slightly more consistent regs on MoonGamers is subjective as well and not something I care about much. The main reason I sometimes play there instead of simple is that it's more populated or I just don't feel like playing the current map.

The point of my post was that trying to fix perceived issues by tweaking the local system is likely to be fruitless and that most likely causes would be network-related (or PEBKAC).

#112 2023-06-25 21:34:39

Russian MadMax
Mad cuz bad
Russia
iOS Safari 16.1

I agree with Teddy, I have a ping of 150-165 mg, 60-70 on a simple (very often jumps to 100 and persists for quite a long time) if you compare the regs, it is determined that the reg on mg is more stable, with a larger ping than on a simple (on average I spend 2-3 bullets there, whereas on a simple from 5 bullets and 5 bullets is the best result) but the problem of rega for enemies running sideways has always remained relevant to me in all servers.

#113 2023-07-09 01:40:13

Alfred
At duty
Argentina
Windows 10 Chrome 114.0

How long those CTF maps would be in the map list? After Wake and Bocage CTF a lot of players quitted, not to mention that the amount camping is absurd from some "skilled" ones, as usual.

Board footer