#1 2014-12-01 09:40:26

Winston Smith
New Zealand
Windows 7 Chrome 39.0

Server Rules - Querries

Hi!  I’ve read the server rules a few times and checked through forum posts here and there, and I was hoping the community could clarify a few points for me.  I’ve pasted the server rules from http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3 below and I’ve written a few questions in between.  Generally I have my own idea of what’s right and what’s wrong, what’s fair and what’s not, but I’d like to know what other players think about certain situations.  Thanks.

•     Attacking the enemy uncapturable main base (basecamping or basebombing) is not allowed. You must not snipe at the main base.

Please clarify: Is it OK to attack uncapturable Allied beachheads, for example, Omaha and Iwo Jima?  If so, is it OK to spawn camp/snipe these points?

•    You are not allowed to shoot at planes during take-off.

Please clarify:  Is it OK to attack planes or people on a carrier.  When attacking a carrier and a plane starts its take off, is it OK to continue the attack.  How far into the air must a plane be before it becomes a fair target?

•    All other vehicles must be given the opportunity to leave their base.

Please clarify:  Where does the territory of a base end?  If the base is surrounded by a fence or wall, is it OK to engage once an enemy is on the outside of that fence?

•    Nevertheless, it's permitted to air strike at a fireing AA gun or a shooting artillery that’s inside the base.

Please clarify:  Is it OK to engage other units, such as armour and MGs that are firing from inside a base?  Also, is it OK to engage infantry, particularly snipers and anti-tankers that are firing from within a base?  On some maps, for example Battle Axe and Stalingrad, snipers and anti-tankers can easily attack enemy units from within their bases.

•     The previous basecamping/basebombing rule does not apply to Battle of Britain map and Capture the Flag (CTF) maps.

Please clarify:  When playing the Battle of Britain map, of course the Axis can bomb the Allied factory, but is it OK for Allied forces to bomb and strafe the Axis airfield?

•     Pixel-shooting is strictly forbidden.

Please clarify:  Is it pixel-shooting if you can see the target area, or only if the target is out of visual range?  For example, when firing the defgun from Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima, the airfield is impossible to see without a scout’s help, so firing on that would be pixel-shooting.  However, you can see the two flags in the centre of the island.  Is it OK to fire directly at these flags without a scout spotting? 

Can you use a non-scout team-mate as a spotter?  For example, could someone close to the target radio back adjustment information, something like: “You’re shooting to far, aim down a little and to the left”. 

Also, does pixel shooting only apply to artillery, defgun, and ship guns, or does it also apply to tanks, bazookas, and any other weapon that can fire beyond visual range? 

The other rules are all pretty clear but I notice that team stacking is not on this list – is it officially against the server rules?

•    Any form of cheating is prohibited and will result in a permanent ban.
•    Please respect all players. Behavior only meant to disturb or upset players is  forbidden.
•    Racism, political or religious comments that are hostile are not welcome.
•    Excessive swearing is not allowed.
•    Offensive or blank player names are not allowed.
•    Do not spam chat or radio commands.
•    It is forbidden to use jeeps as a "taxi" to get to a plane or a tank faster.
•    Do not insult our admins, please respect those that put time and effort into our server.
•    Do not try to evade a ban, that will lead to a much longer ban.

Thanks,

WS

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2014-12-01 10:25:57

nämeless
Semi-corrupt admin
Russia
Windows 7 Firefox 33.0

Re: Server Rules - Querries

Winston Smith wrote:

•     Attacking the enemy uncapturable main base (basecamping or basebombing) is not allowed. You must not snipe at the main base.

Please clarify: Is it OK to attack uncapturable Allied beachheads, for example, Omaha and Iwo Jima?  If so, is it OK to spawn camp/snipe these points?

Yes.

Winston Smith wrote:

•    You are not allowed to shoot at planes during take-off.

Please clarify:  Is it OK to attack planes or people on a carrier.  When attacking a carrier and a plane starts its take off, is it OK to continue the attack.  How far into the air must a plane be before it becomes a fair target?

It's allowed to attack starting planes at the carrier. In case the airfield is next to the main uncapturable base, you should let the enemy to take off and gain altitude. Be a gentleman and avoid cheap frags. Here is another interesting and funny thread to read.
http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2291

Winston Smith wrote:

•    All other vehicles must be given the opportunity to leave their base.

Please clarify:  Where does the territory of a base end?  If the base is surrounded by a fence or wall, is it OK to engage once an enemy is on the outside of that fence?

It depends on the map. For example, on Battleaxe if the vehicle came down from the bulge of the main base, it does mean you can attack it.

Winston Smith wrote:

•    Nevertheless, it's permitted to air strike at a fireing AA gun or a shooting artillery that’s inside the base.

Please clarify:  Is it OK to engage other units, such as armour and MGs that are firing from inside a base?  Also, is it OK to engage infantry, particularly snipers and anti-tankers that are firing from within a base?  On some maps, for example Battle Axe and Stalingrad, snipers and anti-tankers can easily attack enemy units from within their bases.

For example, you can bomb active AA-guns, active artillery vehicles, active tanks that attack from the main base with no intention to leave it, you can snipe enemy AA-gunners and enemy snipers etc.

Winston Smith wrote:

•     The previous basecamping/basebombing rule does not apply to Battle of Britain map and Capture the Flag (CTF) maps.

Please clarify:  When playing the Battle of Britain map, of course the Axis can bomb the Allied factory, but is it OK for Allied forces to bomb and strafe the Axis airfield?

Yes.

Winston Smith wrote:

•     Pixel-shooting is strictly forbidden.

Please clarify:  Is it pixel-shooting if you can see the target area, or only if the target is out of visual range?  For example, when firing the defgun from Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima, the airfield is impossible to see without a scout’s help, so firing on that would be pixel-shooting.  However, you can see the two flags in the centre of the island.  Is it OK to fire directly at these flags without a scout spotting?

Can you use a non-scout team-mate as a spotter?  For example, could someone close to the target radio back adjustment information, something like: “You’re shooting to far, aim down a little and to the left”.

Also, does pixel shooting only apply to artillery, defgun, and ship guns, or does it also apply to tanks, bazookas, and any other weapon that can fire beyond visual range?

It's a very subtle and complicated issue to explain because there were a lot of conflicts between players and administrators because of this rule. Ask Tuia to explain the official meaning because he is the head administrator.

Last edited by nämeless (2014-12-01 10:28:18)

#3 2014-12-01 12:59:52

Sociopatico
Italy
Windows 8.1 Chrome 39.0

I would add something:

- TAXI RULE:

Taxi warning message tells that is forbidden to drive jeeps to planes. But I think that this text misses the sense of the rule: you must not take advantage by driving any vehicle in the direction of the planes. I've seen people taxing with APC on Bocage (allies) and even with tanks on Market Garden (axis).

Of course there are some contradictions: in CTF, for example, I don't see any violation in driving a jeep to a plane in order to bring the flag out from enemy base.

On Wake (conquest) I would also not consider taxi driving a jeep on the airfield to steal a plane when the flag is under the control of enemy.

- UNCAP FLAGS:

On Berlin axis use to spawnkill russians. Is it baseraping? If so, Axis has a great handicap and should have an uncap flag, too.

- AA GUNS

On Battleaxe (and in some RTR/SW maps like Peenemunde, too) planes often destroy AA guns on frag start, even when they are empty, so not active. I would only allow to shoot back, so in my opinion destroying free AA guns in uncap base should be considered  basebombing.

Last edited by Sociopatico (2014-12-01 13:00:25)

#4 2014-12-04 15:55:10

bora87
Croatia
Windows 8.1 Chrome 39.0

bora pro

#5 2014-12-04 16:23:57

Flettnerman
average dödelcopter pilot
Russia
Website
Windows 7 Opera 12.16

bora87 wrote:

bora pro

BMV will answer you soon. He really missed you wink

#6 2014-12-06 09:37:52

Winston Smith
New Zealand
Windows 7 Firefox 33.0

@ Nameless,

Thanks for your input, you have pretty much reinforced what I have been believing.  I've just read through the link you posted about attacking planes on take-off: http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2291.  The first page was certainly interesting, then it turned into four pages of drivel..., but yeah.  There seems to be quite a difference in what I was thinking was a fair take-off and what others think qualifies.  To me, once someone's wheels were retracted seemed like long enough - and that's mostly based on people attacking me on take-off and how I reciprocate when I have a  chance.  But it seems like some people want the chance to gain a considerable amount of altitude before being engaged.  Perhaps it should depend on who you're engaging.  If you come up against someone like me, i.e., likely to crash into a tree pretty quickly even without enemy fire, then give more time, but if you see an ace taking off then hold no quarter once they are up - cause there are some people you really don't want to be in the air!  It's really a moot point for me because like I said, I'll probably hit a tree first anyway, but it's good to know what is "fair".

@Sociopatico,
I agree that the taxi rule is confusing.  What annoys me most about people taxiing is not them getting a plane before me, but rather them not caring about where they park their bloody vehicle.  I watched one "gentleman" drive a jeep to a plane on Kharkov, jump out and get into a plane.  His jeep kept going and stopped in front of his plane -  which he apparently didn't notice and tried to take off.  His plane, driving into the jeep, then swung an arc to the left and crashed into a loaded APC.  Other times I've been in a plane taking off when suddenly an abandoned jeep appears in front of me and I have to get out, move the jeep, repair the plane and start again.

The other thing that annoys me about taxiing is when people drive tanks over to a airfield when those tanks are needed by the team and then you have to hike for a minute to get the tank - and they often explode on their own before you get there!

But in general, even though I never do it, I don't consider using a jeep to taxi, in itself, such a bad thing.  In some maps, like Wake, Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, and, of course Battle of Britain, having planes in the air is really important and the airfields are quite far from the spawning points, so driving a jeep to a plane seems like a logical idea.  Especially on an island map where your team is holding all the flags and the jeeps would otherwise be redundant. I like the way that Battle of Britain has loads of jeeps and they are obviously there to drive to the airfields.

In terms of using a jeep to steal an enemy plane, I don't consider the taxiing rule is the same in that situation.  I figure the longer a player stays in an enemy base, the more likely they are to start killing enemies. Thus, get in, get out and no base killing issues.

In reference to Berlin, the Axis definitely have an advantage to kill the Allied forces, but the Allies have an advantage in having an uncap.  I know it sucks being pinned down in the uncap, but once the Allies break out and capture an Axis flag then the game changes instantly, and it's a really good feeling to achieve that breakout.  As the Axis I try not to attack the area behind where the tanks spawn, but I figure in front of the tanks is fair game - it is incredibly close to the Axis flag after all.

#7 2014-12-06 10:02:13

PitViper
TGE|
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 39.0

Winston you crack me up.

#8 2014-12-08 17:13:54

Coco
France
Windows 7 Firefox 34.0

I never know what to do in this situation. The enemy is in his main base. He's pointing a shotgun gun at me. Am I allowed to shoot him ? or just smile and die ?

141208040938228367.png

#9 2014-12-08 17:36:02

Black Mamba
Canada
Windows 7 Firefox 24.0

LOL where do you see a shotgun? He's a sniper.

#10 2014-12-08 17:49:53

LL22
Windows 7 Firefox 34.0

The answer is simple, if he stays in his main base and attack you, you're allowed to shoot down him smile

#11 2014-12-08 18:28:28

Coco
France
Windows 7 Firefox 34.0

Black Mamba wrote:

I wanted to say « rifle ». I'm working hard to write good English but I'm still a frog. And you Caribou, are you able to speak proper French ? smile

LL22 wrote:

The answer is simple, if he stays in his main base and attack you, you're allowed to shoot down him smile

So, in this situation, I'm not allowed to shoot him first ? It's a recurring issue on Peenemünde, where the battle line is often very close to the Axe's main base.

Last edited by Coco (2014-12-08 18:30:52)

#12 2014-12-09 03:16:32

Winston Smith
New Zealand
Windows 7 Chrome 39.0

Coco wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:

I wanted to say « rifle ». I'm working hard to write good English but I'm still a frog. And you Caribou, are you able to speak proper French ? smile

LL22 wrote:

So, in this situation, I'm not allowed to shoot him first ? It's a recurring issue on Peenemünde, where the battle line is often very close to the Axe's main base.

Well according to the US law: "It is a universally accepted principle that a person may protect themselves from harm under appropriate circumstances, even when that behavior would normally constitute a crime."  But then again, that's completely irrelevant to this game.  He could be just looking through his scope to see whats what, but in my opinion, if you're pointing a sniper rifle at someone, it's a threat.

What about a spotter?  What about a sniper who is using their binoculars to spot for artillery from inside their base.  The sniper is not directly attacking enemy units, but they are involved in enemy units being attacked.  Are they then a fair target?

#13 2014-12-09 09:03:42

nämeless
Semi-corrupt admin
Russia
Windows 7 Firefox 33.0

Winston Smith wrote:

If you come up against someone like me, i.e., likely to crash into a tree pretty quickly even without enemy fire, then give more time, but if you see an ace taking off then hold no quarter once they are up - cause there are some people you really don't want to be in the air!

No, it's not true because there is no exception to the rule and it's more interesting for me to dogfight against the pilots with no competitive advantage for me and I hope the pilots I deal with can confirm it. Don't pay attention to Timmos' comments because he is an arsehole, the interesting issue in the thread above is what time and what altitude should be given to the opponent to turn him into a legal victim. Timmos spent about one minute in the air to gain altitude before I shot him down at high altitude over the middle of the map, so in his humble opinion it wasn't fair but in my opinion it was fair enough.

http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic. … 936#p48936

Since it was the thread about Kharkov, I think it will be also interesting for you to know the route that the enemy pilot choose to gain altitude is also meaningful. If he takes the green route, it does mean he's gaining altitude. In case of the red route, you can shoot him down with no sense of guilt because he goes to the combat area and he must understand the risk of being shot.

2djxoqt.jpg

Last edited by nämeless (2014-12-09 09:08:02)

#14 2014-12-10 08:24:45

Winston Smith
New Zealand
Windows 7 Chrome 39.0

nämeless wrote:
Winston Smith wrote:

If you come up against someone like me, i.e., likely to crash into a tree pretty quickly even without enemy fire, then give more time, but if you see an ace taking off then hold no quarter once they are up - cause there are some people you really don't want to be in the air!

No, it's not true because there is no exception to the rule and it's more interesting for me to dogfight against the pilots with no competitive advantage for me and I hope the pilots I deal with can confirm it. Don't pay attention to Timmos' comments because he is an arsehole, the interesting issue in the thread above is what time and what altitude should be given to the opponent to turn him into a legal victim. Timmos spent about one minute in the air to gain altitude before I shot him down at high altitude over the middle of the map, so in his humble opinion it wasn't fair but in my opinion it was fair enough.

Since it was the thread about Kharkov, I think it will be also interesting for you to know the route that the enemy pilot choose to gain altitude is also meaningful. If he takes the green route, it does mean he's gaining altitude. In case of the red route, you can shoot him down with no sense of guilt because he goes to the combat area and he must understand the risk of being shot.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2djxoqt.jpg

That's interesting.  So if you're circling your base, like the green arrow, then you should be safe from attack.  What about dogfights that stray over an enemy's base, being in your base's airspace in that situation shouldn't automatically mean you have sanctuary, right? 

How about if a pilot is landing their plane to repair it - it's not taking off, right?  I had someone complain once (not on this server) because they had landed their plane, well off in neutral territory, and I bombed it while they were repairing it.  They seemed adamant it was an unfair thing to do.  Landing in a main base to repair I can see would be a different story since it's a main.  But how about landing in the middle of nowhere - surely you're a fair target, no?

#15 2014-12-10 08:37:35

Serebro
Windows 7 Chrome 39.0

I think that if a pilot lands his plane in main base and he is not pursued by enemy he should be safe, repairing it.

When a person lands his plane in the fields and repairs it  - he CAN be attacked !
Why the hell we should give him mercy if he could instead land it in his base and be safe? Lazyass moterfker gets a punish for that smile

#16 2014-12-10 09:01:59

nämeless
Semi-corrupt admin
Russia
Windows 7 Firefox 33.0

Winston Smith wrote:
nämeless wrote:
Winston Smith wrote:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2djxoqt.jpg

That's interesting.  So if you're circling your base, like the green arrow, then you should be safe from attack.  What about dogfights that stray over an enemy's base, being in your base's airspace in that situation shouldn't automatically mean you have sanctuary, right? 

How about if a pilot is landing their plane to repair it - it's not taking off, right?  I had someone complain once (not on this server) because they had landed their plane, well off in neutral territory, and I bombed it while they were repairing it.  They seemed adamant it was an unfair thing to do.  Landing in a main base to repair I can see would be a different story since it's a main.  But how about landing in the middle of nowhere - surely you're a fair target, no?

Absolutely, but you can't feel safe just because you hide over your main base. You can't just leave dogfight and go to the main base to save yourself. If you see that someone land his plane to repair, you also can shoot him. You can even shoot the bailers when they bailing over their main base.

Last edited by nämeless (2014-12-10 09:02:39)

#17 2014-12-15 18:49:02

Winston Smith
New Zealand
Windows 7 Firefox 34.0

What constitutes a blank player name?  I warned and kicked a player for having a completely blank name but then they came back with their name changed to "                   . " without the quotation marks.  He was clearly looking to have an advantage.  Is it acceptable to have a punctuation mark as a name?

#18 2014-12-16 03:53:13

Serebro
Android Safari 4.0

No, it's not acceptable.

#19 2014-12-16 04:41:52

Winston Smith
New Zealand
Windows 7 Chrome 39.0

serebro2064 wrote:

No, it's not acceptable.

How about a single letter?

#20 2014-12-16 06:49:27

Coco
France
Windows 7 Firefox 34.0

Is this some kind of sketch ? big_smile

#21 2014-12-16 09:51:22

Serebro
Windows 7 Chrome 39.0

I think that single letter is the lowest treshold. I've seen some players use it and even admins too. Thus, it can be used, but unwanted.

Last edited by Serebro (2014-12-16 09:51:43)

#22 2014-12-16 14:28:16

TOOKIE GOODNITE
impeached (twice)
United States
Website
Windows 8.1 Firefox 34.0

If I tell someone to change their name, I ask for at least 3 letters. Selaron search doesnt work for anything less.

#23 2014-12-16 16:20:39

Winston Smith
New Zealand
Windows 7 Firefox 34.0

TOOKIE GOODNITE wrote:

If I tell someone to change their name, I ask for at least 3 letters. Selaron search doesnt work for anything less.

Three letters aye, that makes sense if that's what Selaron picks up.  I checked this guy last night and his previous name was TOBACCO MANIA, or something like that.  I'll follow your lead then TOOKIE. 

"I think that single letter is the lowest treshold. I've seen some players use it and even admins too. Thus, it can be used, but unwanted."  That's what I had figured too and I've seen at least one player who seemed to know the turf that had the name "t" - I think.  When I got this game off Origin a year ago my first thought was to pick a name that was as short as possible to give me an advantage - but then I got owned by many players who were sporting extremely long names and I realised that having a short name tag doesn't make you a good player.  But everyone needs a name, right?

#24 2014-12-17 09:53:51

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 34.0

Thats one thing i miss from punkbuster times, you could set a upper and lower character limit on names.

#25 2015-06-23 08:31:15

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States
Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11.0

abc

#26 2015-06-23 19:33:46

Winston Smith
New Zealand
iOS Safari 8.0

ATF_SurrenderMonkey wrote:

abc

I'll teach you the next letter tomorrow.

#27 2015-06-25 05:43:47

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States
Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11.0

Winston Smith wrote:
ATF_SurrenderMonkey wrote:

abc

I'll teach you the next letter tomorrow.

too late...got my cap so I don't forget the next letter...

ByVIjAS.jpg

#28 2015-06-25 06:00:09

PitViper
TGE|
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 43.0

hahaha

#29 2015-06-29 03:42:35

Russ
Jack-of-all-trades
United States
Ubuntu Chromium 43.0

Is there a policy on grenade spamming (standing next to a grenade box and throwing more than three grenades in a row)?

#30 2015-06-29 03:51:17

FlickoftheSwitch
United States
Website
Windows 7 Waterfox 38.1

Yes, it's not allowed.

Board footer