#1 2015-08-06 03:03:41

Coco
France
Windows 8.1 Chrome 44.0

Road to the Rugby World Cup

With less than two months remaining, I bring up this topic to encourage those unfamiliar with rugby to get curious.

(I also believe there is no better way to practice foreign language than talking about something you love big_smile)

Background : France is meeting New-Zealand, the world's best nation in rugby. The All Blacks are winning by a whisker. There is less than two minutes left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwTi-UeQ7s

Pure improvisation. Right, left, right, left. There is almost no contact. The French are getting through every New Zealander without needing to crush them. It's dancing. It's love.

I believe there's no other team sport that go that far in team play. The players were no longer themselves. A kind of collective frenzy overtook them.

Look at the movement of Abdelatif Benazzi (0:26). He's usually a brute (a basic lock of the '90s). Attempting such movement, this is something he would never have thought of. It's collective frenzy.
Look at Guy Accoceberry (0:36). He passes the ball when he could have scored the try.  It's collective frenzy !

Last edited by Coco (2015-08-06 03:33:44)

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2015-08-06 03:21:17

Coco
France
Windows 8.1 Chrome 44.0

Re: Road to the Rugby World Cup

Now that I have told you about the genius of the French I'd like to show you the genius of the British. That's a very different sort of collective frenzy but no less amazing.

Background : It's been 4 minutes since extra-time started. Ospreys (a Welsh club) must score a try against Sale (an English club). It is unthinkable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6GcpgTzX4Q

Look at these failed passes. Look at those awkward movements. Look at this constant pressure. These British players are just like this rough boxer they call swarmer. He's not looking for the knockout by a surprising and brillant punch. This guy just attacking without stopping. He's moving forward, hitting, hitting, fallen, getting up, moving forward, hitting.
He doesn't care about the beautiful. He doesn't know how to cook. He doesn't know how to talk to women. But he's going to move mountains. He has a continuous determination and unwavering self-confidence.

The attack fails for the eighth time in a row. The regular time has been over for 6 minutes now. It has been 86 minutes that they have been fighting. They could have lay down their arms long ago. Just those fucking Brits never abdicate. They attack again with the same intensity. They are still stupidly convinced they're going to win. The ninth attack passes. They win !

#3 2015-08-06 05:28:05

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States
Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11.0

"......The attack fails for the eighth time in a row. The regular time has been over for 6 minutes now. It has been 86 minutes that they have been fighting. They could have lay down their arms long ago. Just those fucking Brits never abdicate. They attack again with the same intensity. They are still stupidly convinced they're going to win...."

Dmn...thought you were recounting an Omaha Beach map with bots!

#4 2015-08-06 09:35:44

Winston Smith
New Zealand
Windows 7 Firefox 39.0

Nice topic choice!

Here's one of the most nerve-racking games of recent years, the All Blacks vs Ireland in 2013.  A little background: Ireland and New Zealand have played each other 28 times over the past 110 years.  Ireland has never beaten New Zealand, the closest they came was a draw in 1973.  Ireland is a top class team in world rugby, they are currently third on the World Rugby Rankings slightly behind South Africa, and they have beaten all other top class rugby nations. 

This match took place at a sold out stadium in Ireland.  It was the start of the Irish playing season and the final game of New Zealand's; New Zealand had won all 13 games they'd played so far and were one victory away from being the first team of the professional era to finish a calender year unbeaten.  Ireland, however, were fired up and full of self-belief that they would become the 6th rugby nation to beat the All Blacks.

Watching the first quarter it indeed looked as if the Irish would make history that day.  The men in green shot out to an unanswered 19 point lead after just 18 minutes and were playing with an enthusiasm and passion the ABs seemed unable to match.  The ABs looked tired, it'd been a long season and they looked as if their minds were already in holiday mode.  When the game restarted after halftime the Irish were up 22-7 and looked to all but the true ABs believers that they would have the match sewn up and the trophy in the cabinet before long.  But there are a few undeniable truths about the All Blacks.  Firstly, they they will weather any storm, absorb any pressure, and counter attack when the time is right.  Secondly, they listen to their coach and at halftime he definitely had a few words to say!  Finally, whereas most teams will train for an 80 minute game of rugby, the All Blacks prepare for 85 minutes, they make sure there's full in the tank at the end.  Oh, and of course, the All Blacks hate losing.

This video shows the last minute of regular playing time when Ireland was on the verge of a historic victory against the All Blacks.  It was 22-17 to Ireland, meaning NZ needed a try to draw and a conversion to win.

TLDR?
New Zealand vs Ireland.
Ireland have never beaten NZ.
It was a close game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV5zndjlv7w

Last edited by Winston Smith (2015-08-06 15:12:05)

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#5 2015-08-08 10:38:40

Winston Smith
New Zealand
iOS Safari 8.0

By the way, the All Blacks are taking on Australia in about twenty minutes. 
Go The All Blacks!!!

Last edited by Winston Smith (2015-08-08 10:39:13)

#6 2015-08-08 15:43:42

Coco
France
Windows 10 Chrome 44.0

I hear the second half was great.

And thanks for sharing !

#7 2015-08-08 16:45:47

Winston Smith
New Zealand
iOS Safari 8.0

Coco wrote:

I hear the second half was great.

And thanks for sharing !

Coco, I appreciate your love of rugby but I think you're winding me up.

#8 2015-08-08 18:32:19

Coco
France
Windows 10 Chrome 44.0

lol absolutely not ! You should have taken that at face value.

But when we beat you at the semi-finals like always, then I'll laugh big_smile

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#9 2015-08-08 18:50:02

Winston Smith
New Zealand
iOS Safari 8.0

Coco wrote:

lol absolutely not ! You should have taken that at face value.

But when we beat you at the semi-finals like always, then I'll laugh big_smile

Once upon a time France was indeed the boogeyman team for NZ rugby - in the World Cup. But last time we met as World Cup rivals NZ managed - some how - to absorb the pressure and get the win.  So now, I'm sorry, we no longer fear the French like we once did; and we really, really did: I did.  Next time we meet in the World Cup, my friend, it will be a meeting of two worthy adversaries, but not a meeting where one team has any suspersticious hold over the other, those days are gone. 

But that is the future, I am now still lamenting the unfortunate defeat we suffered at the hands of our nearest and dearest rivals, our transtasman brothers, cousins, and arch enemies.  I salute Australia; the winners of the Rugby Championship trophy for 2015.

This story ain't over yet, not by a long shot!

Board footer