#1 2015-07-04 07:15:12

Winston Smith
New Zealand
iOS Safari 8.0

Tipping in the USA

I'm going to the American territory of Guam tomorrow, which should be fun so long as the typhoon that's heading there too doesn't ruin my plans.  Anyway, I come form a non-tipping culture and I live in a country where tipping can be seen as offensive - I've actually been chased down the street to be given back 10c after paying with a $10 note and saying "keep the change".  So I was hoping some of you Americans out there in the Battlefield world could give me some advice on this foreign concept. 

Thanks from a Kiwi who has never tipped!

Last edited by Winston Smith (2015-07-04 07:24:37)

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2015-07-04 08:38:17

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States
Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11.0

Re: Tipping in the USA

got a smartphone?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/globeti … 50512?mt=8

otherwise..i could only find this on tipping in usa:

http://tinyurl.com/qhzxldt

#3 2015-07-04 14:06:08

Coco
France
Windows 8.1 Chrome 43.0

Winston Smith wrote:

I've actually been chased down the street to be given back 10c after paying with a $10 note and saying "keep the change".

And what if you give change to an homeless ? He tell you to fuck off ?

#4 2015-07-04 14:13:03

Sunshine
Empress of Doom
United States
Website
Android Opera 30.0

Depends on what you're tipping.

For restaurants I think it's like 15% - 30%.

I work at a bakery/coffee shop and I don't usually deal with the coffee stuff but I know they have a tip jar and people usually put in a dollar or two. I'm guessing that's like most coffee places.

Last edited by Sunshine (2015-07-04 14:14:26)

#5 2015-07-04 16:36:15

FlickoftheSwitch
United States
Website
Windows 7 Waterfox 38.1

One easy way that I use, is double the tax.  For instance a $20 meal will have approx. $2.40 in tax. So I will tip $4 - $5.

#6 2015-07-04 16:41:12

seventy
Playor
North Korea
Windows 7 Firefox 39.0

FlickoftheSwitch wrote:

One easy way that I use, is double the tax.  For instance a $20 meal will have approx. $2.40 in tax. So I will tip $4 - $5.

That is very generous!

#7 2015-07-04 17:07:48

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States

dmn  where are taxes that high, 12%?  ...8% tax in CAli which is high already; some counties 8.5%...$1.60 on a $20 tab....

#8 2015-07-04 17:09:27

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States

Coco wrote:
Winston Smith wrote:

I've actually been chased down the street to be given back 10c after paying with a $10 note and saying "keep the change".

And what if you give change to an homeless ? He tell you to fuck off ?

tipping homeless is optional in the states.  My wife bought a homeless guy a sandwich, he did tell her to fuk off....of course, maybe he was vegetarian...

#9 2015-07-04 17:48:42

FlickoftheSwitch
United States
Website
Windows 7 Waterfox 38.1

I meant to put $25 dollars. Tax is about 9% to 10% for prepared meals in Washington State.

#10 2015-07-05 08:48:07

Winston Smith
New Zealand
iOS Safari 8.0

Thanks everyone!
Great advice!

#11 2015-07-05 15:15:30

nämeless
Semi-corrupt admin
Russia
Windows 8 Firefox 39.0

By the way, I have got a question for 'Muricans... Do you always tip? I mean is it usual for you to tip in cafe or restaurant in any way? Cause I tip only if I feel the waitress was good for me and the meal was delicious. It's usually about 15-20% but it doesn't commit me to anything and I always can go away with no tips if I think I don't need to.

#12 2015-07-05 17:29:23

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States

nämeless wrote:

By the way, I have got a question for 'Muricans... Do you always tip? I mean is it usual for you to tip in cafe or restaurant in any way? Cause I tip only if I feel the waitress was good for me and the meal was delicious. It's usually about 15-20% but it doesn't commit me to anything and I always can go away with no tips if I think I don't need to.

I think I need a drink, or check the alignment of the stars (don't get excited Pleaides).  This is second post today by nameless where I agree with him.  crap....will need to start reading Dionysus posts to get some action going....

Nope...I only tip where I think it was deserved, and only where I have to sit down and get served, and then up to 20% or so (we had a fine dining restaurant so I understand that tipping sentiment).  That stupid jar at (Starbucks) or wherever like store will not see my 2 cents.  What's next? A jar for tipping at the grocery store cashier check out? A jar for tipping at the self service gas (petrol) station? A jar for tipping at the toll bridge?  How about a jar for tipping the tipping jar?

ha.

#13 2015-07-05 17:45:15

nämeless
Semi-corrupt admin
Russia
Windows 8 Firefox 39.0

ATF_SurrenderMonkey wrote:
nämeless wrote:

I think I need a drink, or check the alignment of the stars (don't get excited Pleaides).  This is second post today by nameless where I agree with him.  crap....will need to start reading Dionysus posts to get some action going....

Nope...I only tip where I think it was deserved, and only where I have to sit down and get served, and then up to 20% or so (we had a fine dining restaurant so I understand that tipping sentiment).  That stupid jar at (Starbucks) or wherever like store will not see my 2 cents.  What's next? A jar for tipping at the grocery store cashier check out? A jar for tipping at the self service gas (petrol) station? A jar for tipping at the toll bridge?  How about a jar for tipping the tipping jar?

ha.

Tip here, tip there... I am just asking because it's another country and another culture. I never tip in the coffeeshops cause I think it's almost could be taken as a theft to ask a person to pay 100 RUR (about 2 USD) for a cup of americano, latte or cappuccino and considering the stream of people in these fast food places, which are not far from the stations where can you buy fuel for a car, there is no personal service and you are getting perceived just as another prick at the counter who wants to buy a cup a coffee like those who fuel their cars at the station. If the service is really personal and the waitress is really kind, she really deserves it also personally but not a jar and a restaurant she works for.

#14 2015-07-06 00:20:11

Coco
France
Windows 8.1 Chrome 43.0

I think it's right that people tip where the service is not included in the rate. Arbitration may be on the extra amount.

#15 2015-07-06 02:59:55

Sunshine
Empress of Doom
United States
Website
Android Opera 30.0

nämeless wrote:
ATF_SurrenderMonkey wrote:
nämeless wrote:

ha.

Tip here, tip there... I am just asking because it's another country and another culture. I never tip in the coffeeshops cause I think it's almost could be taken as a theft to ask a person to pay 100 RUR (about 2 USD) for a cup of americano, latte or cappuccino and considering the stream of people in these fast food places, which are not far from the stations where can you buy fuel for a car, there is no personal service and you are getting perceived just as another prick at the counter who wants to buy a cup a coffee like those who fuel their cars at the station. If the service is really personal and the waitress is really kind, she really deserves it also personally but not a jar and a restaurant she works for.

Some coffee shops you get served at a sit-down place and get personal service. Plus, people also eat bagels, muffins, soups, etc.

Maybe what im thinking of is more of a diner... without the other kinds of food or whatever.

Last edited by Sunshine (2015-07-06 03:01:06)

Board footer