#1 2012-06-25 13:23:09

Dudeck
TBE
Poland

Switching maps, allowed or not?

Can admins switch the maps as they want? I only runnext after the crash, but some admins change maps as they like. They just use commands !setnext, which makes nonsense situations, like 3x gazala in 1 hour.
And today (just 5-10 mins ago) one admin ran next map just after 10 mins of gameplay, it was aberdeen, and he said he don't want to wait for a tank, because allied had an advantage.
It must be made clear: allowed or not?

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2012-06-25 13:27:51

Zody
москит
Germany

Re: Switching maps, allowed or not?

hey ho

normally i runnext in situations like it was on aberdeen that only 2 bases are left and the other team has both HQ´s. That means that tons of tanks coming to spawncamp those 2 spots and that means that we have to runnext because it totally destroys the joy of the camped team. btw i didnt say i dont want to wait for a tank. be honest pls.

3x gazala in 1 hour is an abusive behaviour and i never did that or never saw someone who did.

#3 2012-06-25 13:32:13

Lecter

Ive done it when requested because some running map had been played, for example 2 rounds before. The problem with running and setting new maps i think it can disturbe the server stability...also if we keep setting news maps eventually we lose track of map cycle and we keep getting the same maps again and again.

This should be handled very carefully and in my opinion only should be allowed when server crashes or late night when server is not full and there´s a long map that eventually will make players leave.

It should NOT be allowed to set new maps or even running new maps just because an admin doesnt like it. I had a argument with DoubTi last week. While on Omaha, tickets even, no flags taken, he decided to runnext because he said it was boring. Next map I said whi did u ran? Hes reply was: it was boring and go complain to Tuia. I kept calm, because i dont want a admin discussion online but that is totally unacceptable beahviour. Admins are NOT owners of the server and the server is NOT for their own amusement and pleasure!

#4 2012-06-25 13:34:33

Dudeck
TBE
Poland

=|Joker$|=Zody wrote:

3x gazala in 1 hour is an abusive behaviour and i never did that or never saw someone who did.

I don't say somebody switched to gazala 3 times, but switching to any map disrupts the mapcycle.

Lecter wrote:

Ive done it when requested because some running map had been played, for example 2 rounds before.

That's what I'm talking about, u had probably played that map 2 rounds before because somebody also changed the map.

Lecter wrote:

i dont want a admin discussion online

A section for admins would be appreciated smile

Last edited by Dudeck (2012-06-25 13:38:17)

#5 2012-06-25 13:39:31

Lecter

Dudeck wrote:
=|Joker$|=Zody wrote:

I don't say somebody switched to gazala 3 times, but switching to any map disrupts the mapcycle.

Lecter wrote:

Ive done it when requested because some running map had been played, for example 2 rounds before.

That's what I'm talking about, u had porbably played that map 2 rounds before because somebody also changed the map.

Lecter wrote:

i dont want a admin discussion online

A section for admins would be appreciated smile

Exactly Dudeck smile

#6 2012-06-25 13:40:59

Zody
москит
Germany

I only do runnext on aberdeen when one team has 1 base left. And thats ok imo. There is no fun for the camped team anymore and the winner team just wants to have good score with spawncamp. thats why i run next on aberdeen in that situation.

#7 2012-06-25 13:42:57

Dudeck
TBE
Poland

U could say the same of Berlin, when all the best players are in the axis team and allies have no views to get out.

#8 2012-06-25 13:46:14

Lecter

This is the game, if your team sucks and u get cornered and spawncamped thats life. Deal with it. I´ve no problem being spawncamped, it comes with the game...also the inverse has happened. That is the challenging part of the game, when your outgunned, cornered, how to get over it. Its like going up the hills on Omaha, its hard, its full of nades and lame expackers but when u get there its always a thrill! smile

#9 2012-06-25 13:47:46

Negative!
Player
England

=|Joker$|=Zody wrote:

I was playing last night at this time (under a fake name tongue) and you are right we didn't play it 3 times in an hour, but it was changed to aberdeen again and everyone was whining because we had played it about an hour before hand (me included).

There was a lot of complaining about the constant "changing of maps as and when admins feel like it" too - A lot of people were getting really annoyed about it and I witnessed at least 3 map changes, without consulting the players, in the short time I was playing last night.

I would look through the server logs to around the time of this thread and see for yourself :-)

All the best.

Negative!

#10 2012-06-25 13:48:01

Zody
москит
Germany

Dudeck wrote:

U could say the same of Berlin, when all the best players are in the axis team and allies have no views to get out.

thats not a good comparison. Berlin is about to capture the corner house and sneak through in that situation.

But aberdeen with one base left for a team is just pure spawncamping without any fun or challenge for the other team. so imo it has to be finished by runnext!

#11 2012-06-25 13:48:41

Lecter

ofc you were (Moon) Sashi.

#12 2012-06-25 13:49:13

Negative!
Player
England

No, I was player "Hello :-)" actually tongue

Lecter wrote:

(Moon) Sashi.

was just a douche...lol

Last edited by Negative! (2012-06-25 13:49:53)

#13 2012-06-25 13:51:36

Lecter

Negative! wrote:

No, I was player "Hello :-)" actually tongue

Lecter wrote:

(Moon) Sashi.

was just a douche...lol

well I thought it could be both of u actually. I did kick you for driving jeeps to aa and crashing them...

#14 2012-06-25 13:53:22

Dudeck
TBE
Poland

AA, spam alert, I gonna check this topic in a few hours then, see u smile

#15 2012-06-25 13:53:25

Negative!
Player
England

Lecter wrote:

I did kick you for driving jeeps to aa and crashing them...

Actually I crashed into the AA accidently and I got out because I didn't want to die! (although that would look like driving it to aa gun)

You warned me, I apologised, the jeep exploded about a second later and killed you and you kicked me from the server :-)

(or am i a liar again?) lol

#16 2012-06-25 13:56:37

Lecter

Negative! wrote:
Lecter wrote:

I did kick you for driving jeeps to aa and crashing them...

Actually I crashed into the AA accidently and I got out because I didn't want to die! (although that would look like driving it to aa gun)

You warned me, I apologised, the jeep exploded about a second later and killed you and you kicked me from the server :-)

(or am i a liar again?) lol

Exactly how it happened but i did u warned you first but by mistake. I meant to kick you immediately cuz I was checking on u and Sashi. You were both "added as friends". I just wrote "!wdis" when i wanted "!kdis"

#17 2012-06-25 14:20:10

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website

Back on topic, please. Lecter wrote it clearly:

Lecter wrote:

.. if we keep setting news maps eventually we lose track of map cycle and we keep getting the same maps again and again.
This should be handled very carefully and in my opinion only should be allowed when server crashes or late night when server is not full and there's a long map that eventually will make players leave.
Admins are NOT owners of the server and the server is NOT for their own amusement and pleasure!

I ask every admin not to change maps, because that changes the map cycle, and some maps get repeated again. In case of a server crash and the map gets repeated use !runnext command.

#18 2012-06-25 15:11:36

dary
Player
Website

=|Joker$|=Zody wrote:
Dudeck wrote:

thats not a good comparison. Berlin is about to capture the corner house and sneak through in that situation.

But aberdeen with one base left for a team is just pure spawncamping without any fun or challenge for the other team. so imo it has to be finished by runnext!

Raping is a part of bf1942. You dont need to spawn when your team get raped. An admin should not run next then imo. But it depends on the situation.

And thats also the reason why I said to make the bases in aberdeen impregnable. To avoid such situations.

Lecter, sometimes you dont have to be a visionary to know whats gonna happen with the other team. wink Doesnt mean the other team sucks when there are only bf42 freaks in one team with 10 years experience.

#19 2012-06-25 15:14:29

dary
Player
Website

tuia wrote:

Back on topic, please. Lecter wrote it clearly:
I ask every admin not to change maps, because that changes the map cycle, and some maps get repeated again. In case of a server crash and the map gets repeated use !runnext command.

It happens sometimes, that nobody wants to play midway or philippines. Runnext ok then? Omaha was fun last time, but to be honest, this map sucks because there are too many snipers.

Last edited by dary (2012-06-25 15:15:23)

#20 2012-06-25 15:41:10

Negative!
Player
England

Lecter wrote:

Exactly how it happened but i did u warned you first but by mistake. I meant to kick you immediately cuz I was checking on u and Sashi. You were both "added as friends". I just wrote "!wdis" when i wanted "!kdis"

Sounds fair to me :-)

#21 2012-06-25 16:07:56

Jazavac
Player
Croatia

I will not lie, i set new maps when were maps as philippines or midway , so this wont happen again!

#22 2012-06-25 23:34:29

Zody
москит
Germany

ok i still have the opinion that a mapchange on aberdeen is needed in such situation, but i wont do that again and just go afk wink

#23 2012-06-25 23:35:39

Catman
Canada

For Lecter:

[Moon] Sashi = Lyals from Moongamers. 

smile

#24 2012-06-25 23:39:16

Lecter

Catman wrote:

For Lecter:

[Moon] Sashi = Lyals from Moongamers. 

smile

Oh...thx smile

#25 2012-06-26 12:16:24

Dudeck
TBE
Poland

I have a question, do crashes disrupt mapcycle? I had this situation today. Was Gazala, next was Guadalcanal, typed !nextmap and I saw Aberdeen. Guadalcanal crashed after a minute and it (Guadalcanal) restarted. And the next map was Omaha (where's my Aberdeen?) sad and again Gazala after that.

#26 2012-06-26 14:22:51

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website

After a server crash, it only disrupts map cycle if the map list was changed in BFRemoteManager. The map cycle, usually, gets changed everyday and it's saved to a file called ServerMaplist.con by BFServerManager. After a server crash or a restart of the server, BFSM overwrites the actual Maplist.con with its ServerMaplist.con contents and the BF1942 server executable reads that new Maplist.con file.

#27 2012-06-26 20:51:01

Sloop
United States

What about a map vote. Instead of admins just changing maps, the players could vote on it. I think that map voting gets abused, so maybe only the admins could start a map vote. Just a thought...

#28 2012-06-26 20:56:34

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website

Yes, that's the problem about map voting. I don't know if your idea is doable. I guess map voting could be enabled by a command and disabled afterwards, let me check.

#29 2012-06-26 21:23:31

Lecter

Please do not enable map vote. No good public server on the history of BF1942 as ever had it. Its annoying and keeps popping up in the middle of a game. Please dont tuia. Players need to get used to map cycle. Map vote will only add to the confusion.

Last edited by Lecter (2012-06-26 21:23:50)

#30 2012-06-26 21:25:15

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website

Ok, no map voting on France server. smile

Board footer