#1 2014-05-11 23:03:06

Kansas1327
Player
Website
Windows 8 Chrome 34.0

Electronic Arts official comments on GameSpy shutting down

http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-tit … on-gamespy

GameSpy announced earlier this month that they would be ending all hosted services for games, which impacts the online capabilities of a number of older titles, including some from EA.

Since GameSpy’s announcement, our teams have been working to evaluate options to keep services up and running.  Unfortunately, due to technical challenges and concerns about the player experience, we do not have a solution at this time. Online services for EA games on the GameSpy platform will be closed down at the end of June.

We know some of these games are still fan favorites, including Battlefield 2, Battlefield 1942, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Command & Conquer games. We are still investigating community-supported options to preserve online functionality for these titles, such as multiplayer. Significant technical hurdles remain, and at this time we don’t have anything to announce.

It would be really great if at all possible ssk and some other genius would be able to contact EA in helping them with anything, but of course they do not specify what they are having problems with. Let's remember these are the same people who had problems with releasing Origin on the same version as CD players, yet BF1942 players were able to do exactly this in a short amount of time.

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2014-05-11 23:53:20

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Opera 11.64

Re: Electronic Arts official comments on GameSpy shutting down

EA have to set up a master server emulating master.gamespy.com one, information about GameSpy protocols can be found at http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm#distrust page, and then release updated client executables for all their game titles, which has the master.gamespy.com hostname replaced.

#3 2014-05-11 23:56:01

Lecter
Where´s Clarice?
Portugal
Windows XP Firefox 29.0

tuia wrote:

EA have to set up a master server emulating master.gamespy.com one, information about GameSpy protocols can be found at http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm#distrust page, and then release updated client executables for all their game titles, which has the master.gamespy.com hostname replaced.

and this would take long or they just dont care?

#4 2014-05-12 00:06:25

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Opera 11.64

This doesn't take long, at least getting servers list to work. There are other games, like Battlefield 2, which have other GameSpy features. Can't tell from that announcement what are the technical hurdles they are facing.

#5 2014-05-12 01:29:42

s[sk]
Rival
Slovakia
Windows 7 Pale Moon 24.5

there's also possibility that they're not legally allowed to reimplement gamespy server/protocol due to some IP reasons and would have to make something own
you never know these days

edit: just in case, IP = intellectual property

Last edited by s[sk] (2014-05-12 01:30:35)

#6 2014-05-12 07:48:50

DC
Flamer
Austria
Windows 8.1 Chrome 34.0

tuia wrote:

If I understand that correctly, that means everyone has to download an additional patch? Do you think all public players would do this?

#7 2014-05-12 08:28:15

Millerke
"Miller is the Key" - Member ]DDW[
Hungary
Website
Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11.0

DC wrote:
tuia wrote:

If I understand that correctly, that means everyone has to download an additional patch? Do you think all public players would do this?

Or simply use xfire.

#8 2014-05-12 08:34:12

Lecter
Where´s Clarice?
Portugal
Windows XP Firefox 29.0

Millerke wrote:
DC wrote:
tuia wrote:

Or simply use xfire.

so we can connect directly thru xfire without installing anything? Time to start using it then...

#9 2014-05-12 08:50:46

Millerke
Hungary
Website

Lecter wrote:
Millerke wrote:
DC wrote:

Or simply use xfire.

so we can connect directly thru xfire without installing anything? Time to start using it then...

I think yes.
Download xfire, install xfire and it searches for your installed games,  after it you can search for these games, add to favs, add friends etc ...

The whole "shutdown" is for ingame searcher if i understand that correctly.
I use xfire since the bf1942 came out and not only for bf1942 and works correctly!

Last edited by Millerke (2014-05-12 08:52:38)

#10 2014-05-12 08:56:54

Lecter
Where´s Clarice?
Portugal
Windows XP Firefox 29.0

thanks, I have it but i never use it smile

#11 2014-05-12 09:03:51

Millerke
Hungary
Website

Lecter wrote:

thanks, I have it but i never use it smile

Leci! ... facepalm_80.png

#12 2014-05-12 19:07:35

bora87
Croatia
Windows 7 Chrome 34.0

You are now ready to chat with Loida.
Loida: Thanks for contacting EA Customer Experience, my name is Loida. How may I assist you today?
you: Hi, why the hell is EA turnning off the online services for BattleField 1942 and leaving like all the crappy FiFa game servers online
you: Hello u there?
Loida: Hi, sorry for the delayed response. I had issues on my end which prevented me from sending you a response.
Loida: I understand that you'd like to keep playing the game and you were saddened to hear that Battlefield 1942 will be shut down.
Loida: As much as we wanted to keep the game active, it's GameSpy who have decided to shutdown the online features for the game. You may check this link, http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-tit … on-gamespy
you: but then y can't EA take over the hosting of the servers
Loida: We have tried to keep them active however, our tools are not enough to support online features of all the games that were hosted by GameSpy.
you: you could shut down some other services and keep alive the CLASSIC! BattleField series
Loida: That's a good suggestion. If only I can keep those online features active, I'd certainly do that.
you: sugest it to your bosses to do that as the BattleField comunity of the classic series is more popu;ar than like the modern series
Loida: I would request you to add this suggestion on our forums by going to http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum
you: thats for BattleField 4 not 1942
Loida: All Battlefield series can utilize that forum.
Loida: I'm afraid to tell you that were unable to keep the online features for now but I hope that there will still be future amendments on this.
you: let me guess it gamespy was BF4
you: to do with
you: u'd keep the servers alive
you: how much effort would it take for the server listings for EA to take over none
you: or offer gameSpy a few thousand a year to keep the service alive
Loida: I appreciate your feedback and continued support for Battlefield 1942. Unfortunately, this would be beyond our control.
you: EA nower days don't care about us gamers
Loida: I believe I already provided you the information that addresses this issue.
you: 192 registerd! servers on gametracker for BattleField 1942 and EA say this game is not popular
you: only 29 BattleField Vietnam but EA say these games are not popular any more
you: for a 12 yeaar old game BattleField 1942 is still quite popular so get me your supervisor
Loida: I'm sorry but even a supervisor will not be able to keep the servers active.
you: no but i want to talk to them
you: or tell me what other WW2 Shooters there are for me to play like BattleField 1942!
you: even if its made by Valve i want a GOOD! WW2 shooter game to play no 1 makes 1 any more!
you: or tell me what the source code for BF1942 is
you: So some 1 with a powerfull PC! can host it
There may be a problem communicating with Loida. Please wait while your chat is transferred to another EA Advisor.

Madkiller sent me that

#13 2014-05-12 20:18:31

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Opera 11.64

s[sk] wrote:

there's also possibility that they're not legally allowed to reimplement gamespy server/protocol due to some IP reasons and would have to make something own
you never know these days

edit: just in case, IP = intellectual property

I don't think they have legal concerns, other game publishers will support their old games after GameSpy shut downs. It's hard to believe they face technical problems to create a master server replacement with all their man power and money.

#14 2014-05-12 21:13:25

Kobra
Germany
Windows 8 Chrome 34.0

They will provide a solution for the origin based versions and force everyone to use origin, hear my words!

#15 2014-05-12 21:36:07

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Opera 11.64

DC wrote:
tuia wrote:

That would be the best solution, having EA release patched client executables, most public players would download them.

Kobra wrote:

They will provide a solution for the origin based versions and force everyone to use origin, hear my words!

You're wrong. BF1942 is no longer available from Origin website.

#16 2014-05-12 22:54:18

mortarman
Player
Netherlands
Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11.0

the best fix for bf1942 is new master server well here it is

http://forum.bf1942.sk/viewtopic.php?f= … 5&start=30

we will not go quietly into the night we will not vanish without a fight
We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day! from ea!
we are one community all bf1942 fans! we have to set aside our differences and work as one to save bf1942!

#17 2014-05-12 23:20:19

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Opera 11.64

That's the way, but the new master server should show all current BF1942 servers. It should save a static list of all BF1942 servers just before 31 of May for some months or even a year, since most servers will take long to make the change, and of course allow new BF1942 servers to register.

#18 2014-05-13 06:28:00

Millerke
Hungary
Website

tuia wrote:

That's the way, but the new master server should show all current BF1942 servers. It should save a static list of all BF1942 servers just before 31 of May for some months or even a year, since most servers will take long to make the change, and of course allow new BF1942 servers to register.

Do you think that the random public heroes will ever download a fix?

They can not even download a 100mb exe to put on maps ...

To you use xfire, qtracker, is not more simple?

++ btw, if gamespy will go down, what will check the legal cd keys?

Last edited by Millerke (2014-05-13 07:18:57)

#19 2014-06-02 20:35:02

idiotwithknife
Player
Croatia
Ubuntu Firefox 20.0

Millerke wrote:
DC wrote:
tuia wrote:

Or simply use xfire.

x fire is nice...that's my kind of solution...and now...thanksgiving is. Time to carve some turkeys

#20 2014-06-02 20:38:22

idiotwithknife
Player
Croatia
Ubuntu Firefox 20.0

Millerke wrote:
tuia wrote:

Do you think that the random public heroes will ever download a fix?

They can not even download a 100mb exe to put on maps ...

To you use xfire, qtracker, is not more simple?

++ btw, if gamespy will go down, what will check the legal cd keys?

public players will ignore all things that are happenin'. And one day will say "Omg?? WTF? CRP!!! DMN!!!!, no servers!!! game crushed! I have virus, let's reinstal windows"...GRRRRRR....oh look at this, I have BF4....and bunch of players will stop playin' bf1942....and some older players will die, and no more bf1942... sad

#21 2014-06-02 21:44:46

Timmos
Player
Netherlands
Windows 7 Chrome 35.0

EA got much better programmers than Tuia or ssk. the thing is, they are way too lazy to fix this because they cant get money out of it.

#22 2014-06-02 23:24:27

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Opera 11.64

Timmos wrote:

EA got much better programmers than Tuia or ssk. the thing is, they are way too lazy to fix this because they cant get money out of it.

Love the way you always write my nickname in capital letter and you rarely do it with others. smile

Anyway, it's true. EA could easily fix BF1942 and their other game titles for the GameSpy shutdown, but they don't because it's not profitable anymore.

#23 2014-06-03 18:09:21

Sunndae
Germany
Windows 98 Opera 10.10

I hope to work for EA one day so I can prove that fixing these issues is worth over a hundred times more than the money that it would cost. A primary focus on the direct costs is ok, but decisions shouldnt be based just on that.

my 2 cents

#24 2014-06-03 18:55:11

Lecter
Where´s Clarice?
Portugal
Windows XP Firefox 29.0

Sunndae wrote:

I hope to work for EA one day so I can prove that fixing these issues is worth over a hundred times more than the money that it would cost. A primary focus on the direct costs is ok, but decisions shouldnt be based just on that.

my 2 cents

+1 and +1000 seeing u here smile

#25 2014-06-03 23:12:07

Timmos
Player
Netherlands
Windows Vista Chrome 35.0

tuia wrote:
Timmos wrote:

Love the way you always write my nickname in capital letter and you rarely do it with others. smile

Anyway, it's true. EA could easily fix BF1942 and their other game titles for the GameSpy shutdown, but they don't because it's not profitable anymore.

ur the big boss, sometimes i wanna speak with Sir to you. but then i remember ur a douchebag so i wont do it

#26 2014-06-03 23:18:28

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Opera 11.64

big_smile

#27 2014-06-04 16:39:33

Timmos
Player
Netherlands
Windows 7 Firefox 29.0

still big boss, why are u accepting that jest is abusing admin rights and moon is allowed to bug/glitch?

Board footer