#1 2016-03-01 09:42:50

IvyMercyLyons
Player
United States
Windows 8.1 Firefox 44.0

three rather major bugs

hey, guys! before i say anything, i feel like i could divulge a few useful bits of information:
-my laptop uses intel graphics, which are a bit incompatible with some tools for 1942 (e.g, cajunwolf's ed42 becomes nearly impossible to use)
-i started playing in late 2014; 1942 was free by this time, but also taken offsale, and so i've been using a torrented edition, in the absence of any other method to obtain the game

well, to begin, a few months ago, i noticed that my "w" key, when depressed, will be treated as though i'm continuing to press it for a while (up to three minutes) after i've let go of it; in effect, i end up walking forward perpetually when this happens. this is not present in any other games i play; i don't play many, and this is the only one i play in fullscreen, so if that has some kind of bearing on the keyboard buffer, or something... this makes multiplayer very, very difficult, as i have to actually adjust my playstyle to account for it (some mods are made extremely difficult by it.)

for the second... neither myself, nor my brother (whose copy is derived from the torrent i also use,) have been able to connect to a lan game for upwards of a year. we were initially able to do this, but it's possible that something bugged up after the application of the patch included with fhsw for the game; i did a clean re-installation, and i'm almost wholly sure he did as well, but if the patch is known to cause bugs there, i can investigate his end; the problem, of course, is that we have no third computer at any given moment, so it's difficult to tell if it's some sort of mutual issue or on a single machine. (i should probably try to figure this out...)

this one is a bit confusing, as well: i got the forgotten hope team's 255-player patch for my copy of the game, and used the moddb guide to getting the game to work with all of the extra bots, and it actually worked, and it was amazing, until i played another mp game; suddenly, the replacement executable provided by the article's writer would no longer launch (or, rather, closed after 0.05-0.2 seconds,) and i had to use my prepared backup of the original executable to launch it after than, like previously; i was never able to successfully launch the fh team executable another time after that (notably, i tried the backup provided in the article, and a cd key error was thrown, so it may be an issue with the torrent.)

sorry about the long post, guys...

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2016-03-01 10:21:02

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Linux Iceweasel 38.6

Re: three rather major bugs

Hello,

Quick answers, 1st one try to remap your keys in BF1942 in the game menu. 2nd one, you are most probably using a patched BF1942 executable, in which I made a mistake that does not allow to join LAN servers, it shows error message "Data differs from server". Download BF1942 GameSpy patch v1.61 and run it or download BF1942 client packages from http://team-simple.org/download page and extract in your Battlefield 1942 directory. About FH 255 player patch, I am not sure, it sounds like BF1942 executable used there is not properly patched. Some old patched executables did not remove the CD drive check and if you don't have one or create a virtual CD-drive, BF1942 will not launch.

#3 2016-03-01 10:40:53

IvyMercyLyons
Player
United States
Windows 8.1 Firefox 44.0

thank you for answering, tuia! you actually caught me before i went to sleep (1:40 am,) i will properly look into this tomorrow; and again, thank you!

#4 2016-03-01 11:58:33

Jesus Villamor
Player
Philippines
Linux Chrome 48.0

IvyMercyLyons wrote:

...i got the forgotten hope team's 255-player patch for my copy of the game, and used the moddb guide to getting the game to work with all of the extra bots, and it actually worked, and it was amazing, until i played another mp game; suddenly, the replacement executable provided by the article's writer would no longer launch (or, rather, closed after 0.05-0.2 seconds,) and i had to use my prepared backup of the original executable to launch it after than, like previously; i was never able to successfully launch the fh team executable another time after that (notably, i tried the backup provided in the article, and a cd key error was thrown, so it may be an issue with the torrent.).

Check my post here:
http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic. … 400#p69400

Also like tuia said, make sure you patch your Battlefield 1942 installation first before applying my modified file/s.

hth

Last edited by Jesus Villamor (2016-03-01 12:00:27)

#5 2016-03-01 23:24:58

IvyMercyLyons
Player
United States
Windows 8.1 Firefox 44.0

it worked, jesus, thank you; i'll report on the lan bug's status as soon as i'm next able to work with it!

the problem with forward movement persists and, since it didn't seem to turn up when i mapped it to y, it may be the key itself; i have to note that i'm pretty sure i was able to change from y to w in-game, but not y to w.

#6 2016-03-04 05:10:25

IvyMercyLyons
Player
United States
Windows 8.1 Firefox 44.0

forward movement seems to not be such a great problem, somehow; the lan issue persists and i'm currently stuck...

*edit - a direct connection, via the "add server" button, to my laptop and via my internal ip address worked perfectly, so the problem is technically solved; however, i am still a bit curious as to why the local servers gui does not work (the issue is wholly in the display;) pretty much only curiosity now, since the problem is solved... thank you all!

Last edited by IvyMercyLyons (2016-03-04 05:18:20)

Board footer