#1 2024-04-17 00:22:05

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 109.0

Battlefield 1942 Plus

Battlefield 1942 Plus is a collection of patches to the game created by uuuz, which improve and fix some of the issues with Battlefield 1942. A significant patch is a fix to a recurring crash when the game is minimized. Also, the game no longer switches back resolutions when loading intro videos, menu and game windows, the resolution is the same and can be set. As well as, fixing the ping display to correctly show up to 3 digits in the scoreboard. In addition, you will be able to reconnect faster to the server when there is a map change. There are several other fixes and enhancements listed in the Battlefield 1942 Plus page, check it for more information.

This is an ongoing project, several other enhancements are being worked on and planned to be added later.

To install it, you download dsound.zip file from the Releases page, extract it and just place dsound.dll file in your Battlefield 1942 directory. The game will be patched in memory, when you launch it, and the dll file has the option to update itself when a new version is available.

Positive reputation 8   Negative reputation 0

#61 2024-05-09 05:11:19

Darcano
Argentina
Windows 10 Chrome 124.0

Re: Battlefield 1942 Plus

tuia wrote:

The idea to add a blind test to test experimental features is interesting , but unfortunately it cannot be a proper blind test, unless the player is honest about his conclusions, simon and deeko are clearly excluded from this group. For laughs, you can add a patch called smoothRegBlindTest, that does absolutely nothing, and you will have some visionaries claim it improves their game by leaps and bounds.

But you just ruined the fun.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#62 2024-05-09 06:44:33

simon
est'own'ya
Estonia
Unknown Firefox 124.0

What I take from this is that someone tipped off uuuz to try and fix what we discovered a long time ago. Either that or he's just a visionary who stumbled upon the same findings completely on his own and wrote it into the code of this patch.
The really funny part about this is that we were leaving clues all over this forum during these years, but the blind can't see the colors.

Last edited by simon (2024-05-09 07:11:01)

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 1

#63 2024-05-09 07:54:54

simon
est'own'ya
Estonia
Windows 10 Firefox 125.0

@tuia, oh no! Not the exclusion!
Anyways..

My point is that the effects of this patch have been achieveable without any modding and the proof is in my older videos, which predate them all. I don't see anyone here who was looking for ''the big secret''. Probably because nobody really cares enough anymore and quite fankly neither do I.

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#64 2024-05-09 10:40:47

deeko
Player
Estonia
Android Chrome 121.0

tuia wrote:

The idea to add a blind test to test experimental features is interesting , but unfortunately it cannot be a proper blind test, unless the player is honest about his conclusions, simon and deeko are clearly excluded from this group. For laughs, you can add a patch called smoothRegBlindTest, that does absolutely nothing, and you will have some visionaries claim it improves their game by leaps and bounds.

There's no point in lying if there's literally a file you can look inside of. Those are the changes we were talking about. Are you trolling us at the cost of your own playerbase or are you just dense? Both probs

Last edited by deeko (2024-05-09 10:57:42)

#65 2024-05-09 16:53:35

tragic
Player
United States
OS X Chrome 123.0

tuia wrote:

Excluded why? If it's because you think they're not capable of being honest then I hope that irony is not lost on you. Simon and Deeko have both articulated and even demonstrated how uuuz's changes result in smoother gameplay, which aligns closely with the blindtest enabled experience that myself and others have had. We know you're on the Jew Estonian-hate tour, but they have contributed positively to this conversation. Do you have anything productive to add?

This is an opportunity to surface real solutions and discussion to improve the experience of everyone. But yet multiple times you've prioritized accusations, derailment and projection. An exercise in humility and introspection would do you good, but I suspect you'll remain uncurious, vindictive and insecure.

#66 2024-05-10 00:21:59

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 109.0

Here you go again, playing the devil's advocate. Do a proper blind test, try to guess if the patch was applied and just be honest about it. I am not saying it is not an useful addition by uuuz, but can you really tell the difference? And I am sorry to burst your bubble, but you, estonians, did not discover any secret. All these UEFI and MBR different setups are nothing but fairy tales, much as running the game in windowed mode, if you can't prove it. The game BF1942 was created when dial-up connections were still in use, can you imagine the experience playing with a 56k modem online? Any tweak you do is irrelevant with a high unstable latency and constant dropped packets.

Positive reputation 2   Negative reputation 0

#67 2024-05-10 01:21:40

simon
est'own'ya
Estonia
Unknown Firefox 124.0

You go ahead and prove they don't work. I've proven enough.
Don't bother tragic, he's not being serious on this matter.

#68 2024-05-10 17:06:20

tragic
Player
United States
OS X Chrome 123.0

tuia wrote:

Here you go again, playing the devil's advocate. Do a proper blind test, try to guess if the patch was applied and just be honest about it. I am not saying it is not an useful addition by uuuz, but can you really tell the difference? And I am sorry to burst your bubble, but you, estonians, did not discover any secret. All these UEFI and MBR different setups are nothing but fairy tales, much as running the game in windowed mode, if you can't prove it. The game BF1942 was created when dial-up connections were still in use, can you imagine the experience playing with a 56k modem online? Any tweak you do is irrelevant with a high unstable latency and constant dropped packets.

Not playing devil's advocate, you're just being stubborn. You have experienced players and uuuz telling & showing you there is a difference, but you're hung up because of some personal grudges. If you can't tell the difference yourself then I don't know what to tell you. If you're still unconvinced, then it actually highlights how technical knowledge doesn't necessarily translate to in-game observational ability. But to give you some grace, the difference would probably go unrecognized to most players.

AFWIW: I think simon's UEFI/MBR is a bit tinfoil hat and is not relevant here

Last edited by tragic (2024-05-10 17:18:08)

#69 2024-05-11 10:43:21

uuuz
Player
Windows 10 Firefox 125.0

I know this blind testing was not perfect, it does rely on the player to form a honest opinion before the test state is revealed. I didn't make a proper blind test because it wouldn't have worth the effort, and it would be even more complicated for testers.

The fact that running the FPU at a higher precision makes the game smoother was discovered back in january by Soldierr and me. We were researching the input delay problem caused by the game timing the frames a bit wrong, and "overfeeding" the server with player input. I traced it back to inaccurate math, and Soldierr made a patch to change the Direct3D API call to not mess with FPU states, so the game runs with higher floating point precision (basically the game can do math more accurately). When we first tested this i noticed that the game was kinda running a bit smoother, then Soldierr also said it, so we knew that we aren't just imagining this.

I got some feedback about the tests, none of it was negative, which is what i was curious about. If it does nothing for somebody, its good. If somebody's game will run better in any way, its great. This means that i can just enable this by default and at worst it won't have any effect.

I made this mod because i had all this information about how to improve the game, and it felt wrong to just sit on it. Leaving hints amongst hundreds of forum posts won't help players have a better experience in this game. Even at this point i don't know what exactly you discovered that i "rediscovered".

Please if any of you know anything about this game that may improve it, just write it down properly, don't sit on it. Also i'd like to ask you to keep this topic about the mod or possible improvements to the game. I think all of you have the common goal of keeping this game populated so we all can enjoy it.

Positive reputation 6   Negative reputation 0

#70 2024-05-11 12:31:16

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 109.0

I did try yesterday to guess if the high precision patch was enabled during  gameplay and I couldn't really tell the difference, but my computer setup is far from ideal. Maybe other players can do the blind test, notice any improvement in gameplay and leave their feedback. It would be interesting to see how many players can guess it right. Anyways, I think this patch should be always enabled, at least it makes you feel better.

#71 2024-05-11 13:34:41

deeko
Player
Estonia
Windows 10 Firefox 125.0

uuuz wrote:

I know this blind testing was not perfect, it does rely on the player to form a honest opinion before the test state is revealed. I didn't make a proper blind test because it wouldn't have worth the effort, and it would be even more complicated for testers.

The fact that running the FPU at a higher precision makes the game smoother was discovered back in january by Soldierr and me. We were researching the input delay problem caused by the game timing the frames a bit wrong, and "overfeeding" the server with player input. I traced it back to inaccurate math, and Soldierr made a patch to change the Direct3D API call to not mess with FPU states, so the game runs with higher floating point precision (basically the game can do math more accurately). When we first tested this i noticed that the game was kinda running a bit smoother, then Soldierr also said it, so we knew that we aren't just imagining this.

I got some feedback about the tests, none of it was negative, which is what i was curious about. If it does nothing for somebody, its good. If somebody's game will run better in any way, its great. This means that i can just enable this by default and at worst it won't have any effect.

I made this mod because i had all this information about how to improve the game, and it felt wrong to just sit on it. Leaving hints amongst hundreds of forum posts won't help players have a better experience in this game. Even at this point i don't know what exactly you discovered that i "rediscovered".

Please if any of you know anything about this game that may improve it, just write it down properly, don't sit on it. Also i'd like to ask you to keep this topic about the mod or possible improvements to the game. I think all of you have the common goal of keeping this game populated so we all can enjoy it.

I think you know what we had discovered and i'm glad there's finally someone with the tech knowledge to put it to work. You forgot to mention that you can test these changes of yours without any modding or files. "Running the FPU at a higher precision" can be experienced after having your game open for 35 minutes and then playing it. Also the thing in your file that clears the buffer after each death is basically the same as having your game open in windowed mode and then pressing the alt key to freeze it for a second. A great coincidence that both of these changes you made are something we have been trying to tell people for a while now, but instead of someone smart replying back to us and discussing it, somebody has run with it in private chats. Everything we've said in forums and private chats have been our ingame experience and these weren't planned posts, we were hoping for someone smarter than us to explain it properly and make something out of it or at least discuss. We are always ready to discuss things that improve the game, got nothing to hide.

PS These changes improve the game but will not make you a super pro like me, i'll 1v1 any of you dorks at any time!!!

#72 2024-05-11 17:35:49

ABAS
disciple of Jeff
Pahlavi Iran
Website
Windows 10 Firefox 125.0

i have tested this thing aswell. the main change of hitreg is for the hitbox patch change and server configurations and route, the effect of this high precision mode makes the changes like 5 to 10 percent, it doesnt do magic. and yes Simon or deeko still can 1vs1 anyone because the delay difference they have is still superiour and mystrious, they are playing you guys so you thing a alt pressing makes you superhero, they even lied about it before, i tested it for a time and the difference wasnt much.
with all of these i still have bug shots on tanks on very low moved opponent, thats something you wont see in deeko videos, like their tank barrel movements in heavy tank is pretty stable when they shoot or go back and forward, you barely will see that in any other one video

Last edited by ABAS (2024-05-11 17:39:07)

Positive reputation 2   Negative reputation 0

#73 2024-05-12 13:45:28

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 109.0

Actually, you estonians and your american lawyer have made some valid and strong points. Blind, dense, did not understand anything, jew-hater, uncurious, vindictive, insecure, grudgy, unhumble. I am convinced, sorry for questioning your achievements.

#74 2024-05-12 16:12:04

Ironfart
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 124.0

uefi/mbr/electrical supply?
Sounds like a red herring to me. Very fishy!
If there is a secret to their superior gaming experience I doubt it will be shared here.

#75 2024-05-13 18:03:18

Evilteddy
Player
Windows 10 Firefox 125.0

As a casual player I did not notice much difference, but truthfully I did not put too much focus into testing either. The gameplay was definitely not worse either, so if the more experienced players feel like the patch is an improvement and the rest of us plebs won't notice it, sounds like it's a net positive anyway.

Even without the high precision mode the qol updates are great, nice work!

Off topic, I think it would be more fruitful to keep the discussion in the thread related to uuuz's patches rather than to speculate on the legitimacy of some of the players and their contributions.

#76 2024-05-14 20:29:55

uuuz
Player
Windows 10 Firefox 125.0

Thank you everyone for trying out the testmode. Because i did not receive any negative feedback i decided to enable those modifications by default in the new version.

Version 1.3.4 is released: https://github.com/uuuzbf/bf42plus/releases

If you already have an older version you will get an update notification the next time you start Battlefield.

• Added an optional fix for the issue of higher on-foot mouse sensitivity when moving. To enable it type plus.correctedLookSensitivity 1 in the console or enable it in bf42plus.ini

• The game may run more smoother and in multiplayer the time it takes for the server to process your input may be decreased by a bit. To disable these patches type plus.smootherGameplay 0 in the console or disable it in bf42plus.ini. For more details see the README

• The mod now works on Windows XP

• If you have a missing CD-key in registry or it is public (can be found online), a new unique one will be used automatically

Positive reputation 5   Negative reputation 0

#77 2024-05-17 19:20:34

Russian MadMax
Mad cuz bad
Russia
iOS Safari 17.1

When I do plus correct… i have conversely thing is my sens going up and faster when I stand than I moving lol completely conversely why that?

Last edited by Russian MadMax (2024-05-17 19:21:32)

#78 2024-05-18 00:05:03

uuuz
Player
Windows 10 Firefox 126.0

Your sensitivity is higher when you are not moving? Did you enable plus.correctedLookSensitivity ? By default it is disabled, try disabling it by typing this in the console:

plus.correctedLookSensitivity 0

#79 2024-05-18 00:59:53

Russian MadMax
Mad cuz bad
Russia
iOS Safari 17.1

I have a higher sensitivity when I stand than when I mov, is this how it should be?

#80 2024-05-18 13:06:31

Russian MadMax
Mad cuz bad
Russia
iOS Safari 17.1

All good

Board footer