#1 2024-08-23 20:06:46

panjp
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 127.0

Battlefield 1942 crashing at startup on Win 10 pro,please help

Hello,

I am facing crashing to desktop anytime I try to launch Battlefield 1942, it plays intro video but when I select campaign or instant battle the game close on loading.

Direct Play is already enabled.
Selected Compatibility Mode as XP SP3
Changed VideoDefault.con to 0 to see error and it shows: "Multiplayerfree Camera template not found"

Can anyone please help?

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2024-08-24 23:13:27

Blindschuetz
°Blind°°°Fahrer
Windows 10 Firefox 129.0

Re: Battlefield 1942 crashing at startup on Win 10 pro,please help

I would try uninstall the game.
And install it new.
That helps in many cases.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#3 2024-08-25 17:54:10

ziba128
Website
Android Opera 83.0

panjp wrote:

"Multiplayerfree Camera template not found"

This may mean your installation is corrupted, so reinstalling is likely to help, indeed

Positive reputation 2   Negative reputation 0

#4 2024-08-27 20:30:57

anal_probe
Player
Windows 7 Firefox 115.0

Technically, BF1942 no longer needs to be installed. It's now fully portable, you can just download the files and run it from the folder. You can also just put it on a USB stick and bring it with you, share it with others etc.

OP, try the one from this link, i'm sure it will run fine as i tested it on many computers, just place somewhere and run:

https://mega.nz/file/GgVXlTCT#M3AGjJxzf … CypoA7-CgU

edit: to clarify, it uses Tuia's installed BF1942 as a base and BFPlus by uuuz, it also has the required DirectPlay file (no need to install that one anymore) and it has the D3D8to9 file already added, which resolves some black screen errors.

Last edited by anal_probe (2024-08-27 20:35:30)

#5 2024-10-01 19:53:05

panjp
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 127.0

I downloaded the file from the above mentioned link and ran the exe file, I got a warning message windows defender does not recommend this to run but I clicked on run anyway but it is not even launching. Any suggestions  to fix it?

#6 2024-10-02 01:06:23

Serebro
Windows 10 Chrome 129.0

Have you tried right click and run in compatibility mode? Like windows 7 or xp sp2 >?
Also mark run as administrator.

Last edited by Serebro (2024-10-02 01:06:51)

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 1

#7 2024-10-02 12:24:21

panjp
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 127.0

Yes I did try to run it in compatibility mode (selected xp sp2,3 & windows 7) and marked run as admin but still the game didn't start.

#8 2024-10-02 14:02:38

Serebro
Windows 10 Chrome 129.0

Idk man, try to download and install the game from another source. Sometimes that might fix it.

#9 2024-10-03 20:05:42

panjp
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 127.0

Any link that I can use to direct run the game?

#10 2024-10-04 00:22:35

InguiringMind
Player
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 129.0

I recently decided to upgrade my microphone and learn to use OBS. In this process I needed to install the Nvidia high definition sound drives for noise cancellation- I reinstalled my video card drivers and soon found out that i couldn't play Battlefield 42- it would crash to desktop. Running as a admin would allow me to get in the game to select a server, however as soon as the map started to load, it crashed back to the desktop.
Doing a little research, I found that the cause was likely a Directx issue- I did a search online and found a Directx download on a microsoft site. I installed Directx and the game is playable again.  I still had a few instances of the game minimizing and returning me back to the desktop, but the crashes seem to be better.
I have also added the dsound.dll and that seems to have further reduced the crashes

Edit: Win 10 Pro with Nvidia 3080 Ti graphics- with an AMD cpu

Last edited by InguiringMind (2024-10-04 00:25:54)

#11 2024-10-04 02:03:10

Black Mamba
Canada
iOS Safari 17.7

InguiringMind wrote:

I recently decided to upgrade my microphone and learn to use OBS. In this process I needed to install the Nvidia high definition sound drives for noise cancellation- I reinstalled my video card drivers and soon found out that i couldn't play Battlefield 42- it would crash to desktop. Running as a admin would allow me to get in the game to select a server, however as soon as the map started to load, it crashed back to the desktop.
Doing a little research, I found that the cause was likely a Directx issue- I did a search online and found a Directx download on a microsoft site. I installed Directx and the game is playable again.  I still had a few instances of the game minimizing and returning me back to the desktop, but the crashes seem to be better.
I have also added the dsound.dll and that seems to have further reduced the crashes

Interesting, are you hoping to shoutcast or something?

#12 2024-10-06 18:41:34

InguiringMind
Player
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 129.0

Black Mamba wrote:
InguiringMind wrote:

No- I only use the microphone in Teamspeak with our small player group.
I had been receiving constant complaints about my sound setup-  Over the last few years I have used four different headsets with microphones- and no matter how much money is spent- the complaints continue. I'm at a total loss as to what to try next.
The new Hyperx Quadcast 2 is my last ditch effort to solve the sound issue- the strange thing is- most Teamspeak users say my sound is fine-  How can the sound be good for some users and sound so terrible for others?

#13 2024-10-17 17:16:02

InguiringMind
Player
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 129.0

InguiringMind wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:
InguiringMind wrote:

No- I only use the microphone in Teamspeak with our small player group.
I had been receiving constant complaints about my sound setup-  Over the last few years I have used four different headsets with microphones- and no matter how much money is spent- the complaints continue. I'm at a total loss as to what to try next.
The new Hyperx Quadcast 2 is my last ditch effort to solve the sound issue- the strange thing is- most Teamspeak users say my sound is fine-  How can the sound be good for some users and sound so terrible for others?

We have finally resolved our Teamspeak sound issue- we finally noticed that when one particular user entered the TS channel- my microphone sound volume would suddenly become lower to another particular user (Not the one who entered and triggered the problem)- however not to the other users in the channel- this made me curious- I reviewed the user permissions and noticed that the user that was triggering the issue had no admin privileges.  I elevated this user up to the same permission levels as all the other users and the microphone low sound problem instantly was resolved.
Never underestimate the power of deductive reasoning.
I have no idea why this was causing a problem or why assigning admin corrected the problem-

Board footer