#31 2020-11-18 15:55:17

llzkk
Player
Windows 10 Firefox 83.0

Re: Framerates & BF1942

Maybe it's because the game uses DX8, so the computer thinks you don't need too much performance for games using that API?
I remember I solved similar problem recently with my new laptop with Windows 10 and also radeon gpu (vega igpu + radeon 5500M).

The steps that I did:

- disabled windows game mode (actually I don't think, that this feature is helpful even with newer titles)
- via Windows 10 settings I tried to force "High performance" option but it didn't worked for me though hmm
- used dgVoodoo wrapper which finally solved my performance problem (my selected output api was DX12, and thanks to that I was able to get full realtime raytracing and some other fancy-shmancy new API features smile )

My dgVoodoo settings:
(General tab)
- Output API: Direct3D 12 (feature level 12.0)
- Adapter(s) to use / enable: All of them
- No other changes
(DirectX tab)
- Videocard: dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card
- VRAM set to 512MB
- Disabled dgVoodoo Watermark
- No other changes

For me dgVoodoo is one of the best tools to fix older games and it helped me a lot make other titles playable such as CMR 2.0, Splinter Cell, NFS Porsche, etc.

Hidden text

*Of course dgVoodoo really helped me, but this part with raytracing and new API features is a small silly joke btw. tongue

Last edited by llzkk (2020-11-18 15:55:41)

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#32 2020-12-30 11:23:36

Jesus Villamor
Player
Philippines
Windows 10 Chrome 87.0

Although dgVoodoo worked for me and it bypassed my laptop's iGPU (Intel® UHD Graphics 630) and used dGPU instead. But...

Regardless of screen resolution the application forced my refresh rate to 60Hz instead of 144Hz and it terribly produced not just ghosting but also screen tearing whenever I moved around the map, then when I tick "Enumerate refresh rates" in General tab and select my resolution with highest refresh rate available (i.e. 1920x1080, 143Hz) the game refuses to run at all.

It's a shame that it utilized my GTX 1660 Ti mobile GPU like a champ for my DirectX 8-based games and only those above are my drawbacks for dgVoodoo.

P.S.
I'm part of the "dark side" now though...
yikes

#33 2020-12-30 11:59:41

llzkk
Player
Windows 10 Firefox 84.0

I'm not sure how exactly it looks in your laptop with nvidia gpu, but you should also try set proper gpu in windows 10 settings,
windows
and what is more, in nvidia control panel, there also should be an option to set dgpu instead of igpu.
nvidia

I think the problem here is that the computer feels there is no need to use maximum performance in games using the DX8 API, even if you really would. The solution here (I think) is to trick the computer into thinking that it is dealing with a newer game, I think minimum DX9, so then it will be possible to unlock additional performance.

I'm using dgvoodoo, because other tricks failed to work properly with my radeon, some of them really helped me to get better performance, but I've got some graphics artifacts. Instead of dgvoodoo you can try something like D3D8to9.

#34 2020-12-30 12:22:02

ziba128
Website
Windows 10 Firefox 84.0

llzkk wrote:

Instead of dgvoodoo you can try something like D3D8to9.

Exactly. I use this one on my laptop with Nvidia Optimus "technology" which switches between integrated and dedicated GPUs: http://enbdev.com/convertor_dx8_dx9_v0036.htm
Works perfectly.
DX8 games officially run only on integrated Nvidia GPU: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers … nly-run-on

Positive reputation 2   Negative reputation 0

#35 2021-01-13 12:08:13

Jesus Villamor
Player
Philippines
Windows 10 Chrome 87.0

I used what @ziba128 posted and it directly uses the discrete GPU, and at the same time I was able to set the highest refresh rate available in Video Option's Display Mode.

There are only two caveats which is not a deal-breaker though, but I should take note to those who want to try it:
- The text in Main Menu, Console and in-game's HUD were slightly blurred out and somewhat noticeable thinner borders for the latter especially setting up the resolution in non-4:3 aspect ratio monitors but it still readable enough
- For those who want to use RivaTuner Statistics Server to monitor the PC's performance in BF1942, then in DirectX 8.1 it will work but not using this ENB regardless of settings in RTSS.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

Board footer