#1 2016-01-04 06:21:39

Catpain_Blackadder
United States
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

Is sniper rifle exploit allowed or forbidden?

Over the time I've been playing BF1942 online, one thing I've seen that often makes me suspicious is people kitted with the sniper rifle who just seem "too good" with their aim.  More specifically I'll see a sniper who can hop back and forth and get a killing shot (usually on me) in much less time than I know it takes my crosshairs to converge, and I always wondered how they did it.  One time could be a lucky shot, but often these players can do it pretty consistently.

Last night I found this page on EA's site: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-19 … d-p/175678.  At the end of the list, under "Other minor issues include" is this: "Sniper Rifles are dead accurate for half a second after running. Commonly used exploit."  I haven't actually tried this, but it does seem like it could be what I'm seeing.

My question is this: is this a known issue here on SiMPLE, and if so is it allowed or forbidden?

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2016-01-04 07:05:15

PitViper
TGE|
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 47.0

Re: Is sniper rifle exploit allowed or forbidden?

No scope players that know their point of aim/impact can and do hit at distances and with such speed that you would think it was not possible.

The hit box in BF is an interesting thing in itself...some of the better players have long ago figured out the dynamics of movement as related to the hit box and use it to their advantages in game.  Similar to being shot when you duck behind sandbags from a standing position for instance...for a moment...your hit box is still above the bags even though you are not.

It is not an unknown issue and currently there is no description of this in the rules.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#3 2016-01-04 07:07:30

Archer!
Player
Canada
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

Interesting, didnt know this.  Probably the bots are using it to their advantage.

Also "-Detpack blast radius too large- proves unbalanced"

At this point, its just part of the game I guess.  How are we ever going to police it properly?

Last edited by Archer! (2016-01-04 07:08:06)

#4 2016-01-04 07:25:00

PitViper
TGE|
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 47.0

LOL!  The bots use EVERYTHING to their advantage.  They are the masters of hit-box....If you have ever been sniped while aggressively turning in a parachute by a K98 sniper...you know,.

#5 2016-01-04 18:46:26

Catpain_Blackadder
United States
Linux Firefox 43.0

PitViper wrote:

The hit box in BF is an interesting thing in itself...some of the better players have long ago figured out the dynamics of movement as related to the hit box and use it to their advantages in game.  Similar to being shot when you duck behind sandbags from a standing position for instance...for a moment...your hit box is still above the bags even though you are not.

I always thought getting hit after ducking behind something was caused by lag, because it happens a lot to me on another server where my ping is higher than most.  Do you think what you are describing is related to lag, and is just worse with higher ping?

#6 2016-01-04 19:56:17

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

open console and write:  game.interpolationTime  im curious what values you get.

#7 2016-01-04 23:04:55

Jubilee
Player
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 47.0

The reason seems that way is because if you're fast enough, you can shoot before the rifle starts to do that prone circle movement. While you are physically moving (W/A/D/S) keys, the scope does not cycle; your crosshair cycle movement is in an opposite correlation with your body movement. It only starts to circle after you stop moving your feet.

Hop in game and whip out a sniper rifle. Zoom in on a wall and look at the very first thing it does: your crosshair pauses and drops straight down before starting to circle. When I started sniping, I would position my crosshair just above someone's head and wait for the drop before shooting. This is easier when the target is prone or kneeling. But it also leaves you exposed as waiting for the drop means someone else has time to shoot you in the head. Then as I got better and faster, I found if you put your target in the middle of your screen before zooming in, you can zoom in easily as the target will already be in sight, adjust your crosshair while your feet are moving, and fire. If you can land the crosshair just where the head is going to be, no need to wait for the drop down. It took a lot of practice to get that down, because your feet are counteracting your mouse aim. Does that make sense?

And when they word it with a phrase "dead accurate" they make it seem like it's easy to do. It's not. Try it; it's crazy harder than it looks. I don't know anyone who gets it right away. It takes a lot of practice to get the movement between body and crosshair down.

As far as shooting someone after they lie down; I think the game regs reflect that a target is still standing until it is completely flat on the ground.

You can see some samples of the moving-shots and no-scopes on my twitch account. And you'll also see that it's such a hard movement to get down that I miss... A LOT. http://www.twitch.tv/jubibadtz/profile/highlights

Last edited by Jubilee (2016-01-04 23:07:28)

#8 2016-01-04 23:42:03

PitViper
TGE|
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 47.0

Jubilee would know.

Yes it's called a laggy hitbox for a reason adder.

#9 2016-01-05 04:47:42

Catpain_Blackadder
United States
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

bud wrote:

open console and write:  game.interpolationTime  im curious what values you get.

Sorry, I just get "Error(2)" and "Unauthorised method"

#10 2016-01-05 06:45:08

janet reno (TX)
Player
United States
Windows Vista Firefox 43.0

No wonder she shoots me so quick. Wow, I wish I had enough time to figure that point out. Jubilee no wonder you are so bad ass, cheers

#11 2016-01-05 15:50:12

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

Catpain_Blackadder wrote:
bud wrote:

Sorry, I just get "Error(2)" and "Unauthorised method"

Should look something like this

interpolation.jpg

about interpolation http://www.gabrielgambetta.com/fpm3.html

#12 2016-01-05 18:30:56

Catpain_Blackadder
United States
Linux Firefox 43.0

I think I already tried both "game.interpolationTime" and "game.interpolationtime," but I'll try it again tonight.  From the error message I thought maybe I don't have rights for that command.

Interesting article.  I went on to read part 4, and the end of the Lag Compensation section sounds like my experiences with ducking behind walls.  Given the article's example server time step or update frequency of 100 ms, I wonder if the algorithm could be improved by adding a delay between pulling the trigger and the weapon actually firing.  A 100 ms delay could eliminate the issue of being hit behind cover, without the shooter experiencing a "no way I missed" moment.  The downside might be that the delay is too noticeable by the shooter, but there might be a "compromise" delay value somewhere between 0 and 100 ms (again, using the article's example).

Is game.interpolationtime anything like that?

#13 2016-01-05 23:06:14

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

They have tried alot of different things, bf3 had some funny moments when it didnt go so well http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/fo … 890110792/

The thing is you can never really fix this because there will allways be a time delay. They compensate with various techniques, and most the rest the human brain gets used to except when it get too weird like the sandbag bug.

#14 2016-01-08 22:59:17

Archer!
Player
Canada
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

What about prone-jumping.  Allowed? It was the hot topic on the server this afternoon.

#15 2016-01-08 23:17:28

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

most bf2 servers banned that sort of bug-use

#16 2016-01-09 02:38:51

Archer!
Player
Canada
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

Well, it might be banned in most bf2 servers, but its seems lately, lots of our eurobro lop crew like to show it off on the USA server.  For the record:  I really dont care.

Last edited by Archer! (2016-01-09 02:39:19)

#17 2016-01-09 03:04:01

Oscar Goldman
United States
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

Interesting thread.

Like everything else in the game, the more you do it, and concentrate on getting better, you get better. I am in no way god's gift to battlefield, but I do have my killing sprees where I do a few head shots in a row.  I have been called a hacker before too when it happened.

For many years after the game came out I worked as an IT Manager for a company and I was pretty caught up, so I tended to play an hour to two every now and again at the office.  Internet speeds were not the best back then, so I tended to play single player. If you ever desire to work on the one shot kill, try single player for a bit.  You'll see there is an art to it.

The best hit box that I have found is the tippy top of the head. That is where I aim. 

For a while, I tried the scout thing.  I had some tape on my monitor, in the shape of a small, thin arrow, and it was set up on the exact cross hair point to no scope.  For a while, I was ok'ish. Jubilee is something special. Reminds me of Team [HOT] Katie Holmes.

#18 2016-01-09 03:23:48

Archer!
Player
Canada
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

The tippy top of the head?!  FFS, no wonder Ive sucked for the last decade...

#19 2016-01-09 04:07:24

[ECGN]BladeRunner
United States
Windows 7 Chrome 47.0

Oscar,
I remember [HOt] Katie, also one of the best flyers I can remember.

I have played against and with Jubilee here and on MoonGamers quite a few times.
She is a very good team player, calls out targets, helps teammates, does whatever she can for teammates.

However, she is to good, imo. I admit it is possible to snipe like she does if your timing is just right ever time.

Sorry Jubilee but I will not play any more when you are in game sad

BladeRunner

#20 2016-01-09 06:52:50

Oscar Goldman
United States
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

[ECGN]BladeRunner wrote:

Oscar,
I remember [HOt] Katie, also one of the best flyers I can remember.

Ahh, Katie Holmes, and Kate Beckensale (pilot). 

[ECGN]BladeRunner wrote:

Oscar,
However, she is to good, imo. I admit it is possible to snipe like she does if your timing is just right ever time.

Sorry Jubilee but I will not play any more when you are in game sad

She is one of the harder targets for me too.  I think I am about 1 in 5 against her.  It is REALLY tough to be upset about it when you are on teamspeak together.  :-)

It would be cool to hear you on there too, bud!

#21 2016-01-11 14:38:01

Pleiades53
United States
Windows 7 Firefox 43.0

Dayum Jubes,.......if you can dance like you can snipe, you gotta be burning those shoes on the dance floor!!!
Nice vids.
Nice work.

#22 2016-01-12 00:41:26

ATF_SurrenderMonkey
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 47.0

Archer! wrote:

What about prone-jumping.  Allowed? It was the hot topic on the server this afternoon.

Double jumping...script jumping...whatever you call it,  is not allowed. Admins will take the appropriate action when viewed ingame.

#23 2016-01-12 04:04:50

[ECGN]BladeRunner
United States
Windows 7 Chrome 47.0

The sniper skills are possible but hard to believe without "help".
Imo, her pistol skills are not possible.
Test it yourself, when moving the pistol is inaccurate. She is not.

I choose to not play when she is online, sorry Jub.
Drink beer, lose the hacks.
Come back and play.

BladeRunner

#24 2016-01-13 20:50:26

Jazzy
Administrator
Finland
Windows 8 Chrome 47.0

ATF_SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Archer! wrote:

Double jumping...script jumping...whatever you call it,  is not allowed. Admins will take the appropriate action when viewed ingame.

Creating your own rules for SiMPLE USA, Monkey?

#25 2016-01-13 21:23:09

Jubilee
Player
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 47.0

[ECGN]BladeRunner wrote:

The sniper skills are possible but hard to believe without "help".
Imo, her pistol skills are not possible.
Test it yourself, when moving the pistol is inaccurate. She is not.

I choose to not play when she is online, sorry Jub.
Drink beer, lose the hacks.
Come back and play.

BladeRunner

I'm certainly sorry to hear you won't play with me. When I started BF back in 2003/4ish, I was horrible. I panicked, I zoomed in at all the wrong times, I didn't know how to lead properly. It was my first ever FPS game! I learned to get better by getting my ass kicked in this game. Over and over. And to top it off, I was a young girl in a male-dominated game. I got a lot of "go back to the kitchen" bullshit that I still hear even today. Even though I've come far skill-wise, I still get people who say I am good "for a girl." Or how it's impossible for a girl to be good at this game. And even so, I'm not even close to the best sniper out there. You claim you watched my vids. I don't believe you. If you did watch, I mean thoroughly and objectively watch, you would see there's nothing to find.

I'm sorry I never got to know you; you don't seem like a bad guy at all. But to anyone who hosts an ego so large that they cannot fathom someone who can shoot well regularly... maybe I'm not so heart broken to not see you anymore. Thank you for insulting the 10+ years of practice I've put into the game by trying to illegitimize what I've accomplished so far; it shows terrible sportsmanship. Tbh, if you really wanted to learn I would take you aside and teach you how I do it. I would explain the methods to the madness that is moving and sniping and whipping out your pistol for a headshot. When you ditch your ridiculous theory, come find me on TS and I'll be more than happy to show you. smile

On a side note, I am actually very active on catching ACTUAL hackers. I've caught a good handful on vid near the end of 2015 alone. I am entirely against exploits; it's another sign of poor sportsmanship. So really, this only makes your words even more insulting and ridiculous.

Anyway, if I ever see you again, then great! Game on! But if not, it's your loss. I'll continue to game whenever my chaotic life permits. It's no sad story on my end.

#26 2016-01-13 23:25:20

PitViper
TGE|
United States
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 47.0

Jazzy wrote:
ATF_SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Archer! wrote:

Creating your own rules for SiMPLE USA, Monkey?

Yea fuknuts we are making up our own rules...just what are you going to do about it other than type?

So everyone knows.,.regardless of what monkey posted...it's prone bug jumping....not double jumping that is the issue.

Last edited by PitViper (2016-01-14 00:23:52)

#27 2016-01-14 00:20:10

twigs
Player
United States
Website
Windows 8.1 Chrome 47.0

PitViper wrote:

Yea fuknuts we are making up our own rules...just what are you going to do about it other than type?"

Chill out buddy, he asked a simple question. No reason to be a dick nuts and get all hostile for no reason big_smile

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 1

#28 2016-01-14 00:23:04

PitViper
TGE|
United States
Website
Android Chrome 47.0

Do u two share a room?

Snide question at best.

#29 2016-01-14 00:33:24

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Pale Moon 25.8

Double jumping is allowed. Everything is allowed except glitching and prone bugging. Other abuse of game bugs, which I am unaware of, has to be reviewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkgZJ1pSWGE

#30 2016-01-14 00:50:03

Jazzy
Administrator
Finland
Windows 8 Chrome 47.0

Double jumping differs from prone jumping. You don't use z in double jumps. You don't have to mad, PitViper. Also, Tuia makes the rules, not you.

Board footer