#1 2013-10-13 18:02:00

Black Mamba
Canada
Windows XP Firefox 24.0

Leans in Battlefield 1942?

r0c0.jpg

I don't know how many people on the forums have played Soldier of Fortune II Double Helix. The image I posted above is from a client-side mod called ICS for this game. If you look at the soldier closely, you will see he is leaning to the left. Yeah, it's hard to see from this perspective, but if you tilt the image 90 degrees to the right, you would see the soldier's gun inclined at a 45 degree angle to the left while he is hidden at 90% by the wall (from a 1st person view).

In Soldier of Fortune II Double Helix, a player can lean left and right while standing and crouching. This offers huge strategic advantages, since you can hide almost your entire body behind a crate or wall and only have the tip of your gun visible to the enemy, while at the same time still being able to see them.

Now, from a modders perspective, this would be quite interesting to implement into Battlefield 1942. My best bet would be to replace an already existing infantry "movement" by the leans. For example, replace the ability to prone (which slows down the game drastically and provides exaggerated accuracy to the player) with the ability to lean left and right. In the Infantry Controls menu inside the game, two movement controls would have to be eliminated in order to do this.

Of course, new animations would have to be made in third and first person, but I think the most challenging thing would be to make the gun tilt at a maximum angle of 45 degrees left or right and make it look nice to the eye. It's probably similar to the "third person crosshair" debate, but a bit less complex in my opinion.

Share your thoughts here about the possibility of implementing this into Battlefield 1942. Do you think it would be a nice asset, or that it can even be done?

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2013-10-13 20:15:56

DC
Flamer
Austria
iOS Safari

Re: Leans in Battlefield 1942?

Well my opinio is that it does not make so much sense: Just in 2 maps it would maybe helpful, stalin and berlin but the most guys who play longer than 3 month would not use it.

And the other thing is that this will be quite impossible from technical side. You have to make a total new patch which takes months to create and noone would download it and the server owner would not change the server settings aswell...

#3 2013-10-13 21:15:19

Black Mamba
Canada
Windows XP Firefox 24.0

Re: Leans in Battlefield 1942?

I'm talking about whether it's even possible to create such a modification, like if the game's engine would support leans.

What you say in your post is true. To be successful, the leans would have to be implemented in a much bigger infantry modification with a variety of other features though.

Board footer