#1 2023-12-11 07:11:40

axiom
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 119.0

How to Host Standalone Server in 2023

Hi, I have downloaded the patch for the client that is supposed to make it so the server lists and ive downloaded the patch for the standalone server.

Neither hosting from my client nor from the standalone server will show up in the server list.

I have my firewall open.

when i start the dedicated server the console loads and sits waiting on "Setting up GameSpy and ASE for internet game". This makes me think the server isn't being listed in the correct place.

additionally in the dedicated server ipsettings tab under the "choose from detected ip addresses" i am only seeing a local 192.186.12.8 address. When i manually put in my ip4 address the console window pops up and then crashes immediately.

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2023-12-11 18:38:16

seVen

Windows 10 Chrome 119.0

Re: How to Host Standalone Server in 2023

Hello. Any chance that the Server Type is set to LAN, and not Internet?

Possibly have the wrong dedicated server .exe ??
https://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9232

This will allow your server to show within the in-game browser as well as here:
http://bf1942.eu/Servers

Rather than an open firewall, you just need to forward 14567 & 23000

Disregard that "Setting up GameSpy" msg.  It is harmless.

Your LAN IP is meant to show in that box.  It must reflect the address where your server resides.

good lucky.

Last edited by seVen (2023-12-11 21:16:58)

#3 2023-12-12 06:33:37

axiom
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 119.0

Yes i have done all that and am using the internet not lan.

I believe the problem is due to my internet connection being T-mobile 5G home internet. I seems I may not have a static IP, that I have a shared IP or that I have only ipv6. I think its that the 5G gateway doesn't give an externally accessible static IP.

The solution I have found is to use a tunneling service. I am able to get a web address to tunnel traffic to my machine however the address will not fit in the input area of the DedicatedServer launcher where you are able to specify an IP address instead of using automatic detection.

The tunnel address is something like bf1942.loclx.io with port 14567. However this address syntax has only 2 separators when the input field of the DedicatedServer ip configuration is unfortunately designed to force a 4 digit IP address.

My next step was to crack open the DedicatedServer.exe to find where that input field is and edit it to be a normal one, or to find where the ip info is saved/sent to the serer launcher and put it there.

But after extracting DedicatedServer.exe with 7zip I located file 137 that I can partially read contains information about the ip input field box but I do not know how to further extract, decompile, de-obfuscate, or whatever to actually make the edits I need.

I am now hoping someone here knows how since team simple has already edited this exe before.  Or maybe someone knows a better/easier way to get a static IP working and BF1942 server running on it.

Thanks!!

#4 2023-12-12 09:56:24

axiom
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 120.0

Ok so I went a different route. I rented a virtual private server on AWS and have an instance of windows running on it.

I've installed and patched the dedicated server with the link you provided.

I have disabled all firewalls and added exceptions for both the dedicated server executables.

AWS gives me a private ip and a public ip.

The dedicated server detects the private ip in the configuration settings.

When I select auto detection the server will start however;
1. there is no ip listed in the command window
2. when loading the client on my actual machine;
      a. i do not see the server listed
      b. i cannot connect using the private ip
      C. i cannot connect using the public ip

When I input the private ip in the configuration settings the server will start and I can see the ip listed in the command window however I cannot see the server lister in the client nor can I connect to it using either the private or the public ip.

When I input the public ip in the configurations settings the server will not start and the command window crashes immediately.

What do?

#5 2023-12-12 17:03:23

seVen

Windows 10 Chrome 120.0

Is your server showing here: http://bf1942.eu/Servers
If not, the server is still misconfigured, has a filewall block, or Henks server patch is not properly installed.

If your client machine does not have Henk's client patch, your in game browser will not see it.

If you'd like to connect directly to your server with or without using Henks client patch,
type this in a command window from within your BF folder:

BF1942.exe +restart 1 +joinServer yourAWSexternalP

Last edited by seVen (2023-12-12 17:13:46)

#6 2023-12-14 10:05:17

axiom
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 120.0

Everything is installed correctly. The problem is the dedicated server will not accept the public IP i give it. it just crashes. it will run with the private IP but i still cannot connect. Everything is still as i previously described. Why is it crashing when i put in the ip manually? Why wont it detect the correct IP to put in automatically?

im stuck in between a rock an a hard place because i cant put in a manual IP. it just crashes.

#7 2023-12-14 14:29:35

Karwsz
Player
Poland
Windows 10 Chrome 120.0

You are not supposed to use public IP in configuration file, server does not see it. The problem lies somewhere else, could you please tell what steps you followed in opening ports?

#8 2023-12-14 16:45:23

seVen

Windows 10 Chrome 120.0

The problem is the dedicated server will not accept the public IP i give it.

Please stop trying that.  As mentioned earlier, that is for the internal (LAN) IP only.
Try this:

- Navigate to the Mods\BF1942\Settings folder.
- Open the ServerSettings.con file with an editor.
- Add this line:  game.serverIP [Your-AWS-internal-IP]  (without brackets)

- If you're using BFServerManager.exe, add that line to the ServerManager.con also.

Launch the server.  If your box is still empty, you could repeat those edits, then
write protect the files. (haven't tested that, so unsure if game issues may result)

Last edited by seVen (2023-12-14 16:47:46)

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#9 2023-12-16 00:16:20

axiom
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 120.0

ok i got it to work. it was an inbound port forwarding issue with AWS. needed to change in security profile.

Board footer