#1 2019-02-28 16:24:35

Notapix
Player
France
Linux Firefox 45.0

Erroneous ban?

Hello,

I was just banned from the normal server (Notapix, today at about 14:10 GMT on El Alamein map). I suppose this is an error, an admin had banned someone minutes before and claimed he had mistyped their name (don't remember the name of that admin, not someone I know).

I see no reason as for why I would have been banned, neither base attack nor teamkilling, which are things I don’t do (OK, the occasional unwilling TK happens, as everyone else wink ).

What I did before being banned: shot down a B17, some time after take off (I spot it taking off, make a big turn and came back to shoot it down, after it had turned). That was clearly not a case of "shooting down a plane at take off" case as it had taken off before (when I first saw it) and had manoeuvred before I started shooting.

So I would be happy to be unbanned, as I suppose it is an error; and if it is not, then I would like the admin that banned me to explain why he did so. I’m all for the "don’t shoot planes at takeoff" rule, but it doesn’t extend up to when they’re manoeuvring in the air, just to when they're rolling on the strip and a few seconds after that, but no more.

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2019-02-28 16:31:40

Notapix
Player
France
Linux Firefox 45.0

Re: Erroneous ban?

OK, had a PM from Arkos explaining they banned me for baserape, and the ban is for 20 minutes.

I maintain that plane was no longer taking off, otherwise I would not have shot at it. I’m used to playing here and I respect rules.

#3 2019-02-28 18:01:14

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 72.0

Ok, ... shit happends.

Ya, ... i just took off and made a turn to the right and you shot me down.

I was warning all along the 20 minutes before that baseraping is not allowed.

Several players were playing El Al Conquest like it would be CTF. 

#4 2019-02-28 18:42:32

Notapix
Player
France
Linux Firefox 45.0

Yes, that’s a frequent problem on El Alamein roll

I hadn’t noticed it was you in the plane tongue But take off was over, you were away from base and able to take evasive action. Of course, a B17 is slow, but the rule is the same for every plane. And it has a gunner, which in that case had ample time to shoot back (and damaged my 109).

Anyway I understand you were fed up with guys baseraping, plus I wouldn’t have been happy to have been shot down either, so I’m happy to call that a misunderstanding in the heat of the game, and that’s OK smile
Shit happens indeed ! lol

(Apart from that, you said in your 2nd PM that I «have nothing to do that close to our base». I don’t agree with this: nothing in the rules forbids a plane to fly in the vicinity of the enemy main base, or even over it, as long as they do not attack. Otherwise you couldn’t fly at all, planes don’t U-turn on the spot.)

#5 2019-02-28 18:52:09

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 72.0

The take off was not over...

I just started to make a turn to the right and you allready shot.

I was just tired after kicking somehow 7 players and so it was the turn to put a sign.

Wasn't you got kicked allready before for baseraping?

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#6 2019-02-28 19:42:59

Frank(Ger)
Administrator
Germany
Windows XP Firefox 42.0

Don't wait over enemy base for planes to follow them until the takeoff can be considered over (stoped climbing).
If you happen to fly over enenmy base and see a plane taking off, turn away and don't stay behind it.

#7 2019-02-28 20:47:28

Notapix
Player
France
Linux Firefox 45.0

Nope, I hadn’t been kicked.
But since you mention that, I got a ban back in 2017, when I was an ignorant noob tongue But now I do know the rules, and I abide by them.

I wonder when you do consider take off as over?
To me, if the plane is airborne, gear up, away from the strip and able to manoeuvre normally, then it is no longer taking off. If it has its gear down, is still close to the strip and close to the ground, then it is still taking off - but otherwise, it's shootable.

As I said, I spotted you taking off, took time to make a wide U-turn, then came back and found you safely airborne and away from the strip, already turning. If you think I misjudged, then I’m sorry - but I think I did not. For me, I left you time to go away, and it’s not my fault if the B17 is slower than other planes, and cannot barrel roll like a Spitfire.

Anyway, there’s no need to talk for hours about that. Both of us did what we did, we honestly think we did right, so let’s be done with it wink
See you in game!

@Frank(Ger) : agree with you, except on the "stopped climbing". You can't tell when the pilot will decide it's time for them to stop climbing, otherwise they may wish to go up to 20.000 feet without being shootable. As long as the plane is safely airborne, gear up and manoeuvrable, then it's fair to shoot it.

Last edited by Notapix (2019-02-28 20:54:37)

#8 2019-02-28 21:16:22

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 72.0

When i'm close to an enemy base and i see a still climbing plane, i wait on his move.

While a go away, i watch if he starts attacking me.

If yes, i shot back, if not i leave and try to forget him, because i don't want any advantage.

#9 2019-03-01 21:21:45

Frank(Ger)
Administrator
Germany
Windows XP Firefox 42.0

If someone makes his first turn towards the battlefield or opens up, he is legit target. If someone turned away to climb behind his own base, leave.

Board footer