#1 2023-08-13 00:57:24

mspljd
OS X Chrome 103.0

Could Team SiMPLE create an unofficial expansion?

I was doing some thinking. Like BF1942, Age of Empires 2 is one of my all time favourite games, and it has enjoyed a renaissance over the past 10 years because a team of fans created an unofficial expansion, which caught the attention of Steam, who released the game on their platform and the rest is history.

This so far is a pipe dream of mine but I was wondering if people on here would be interested in creating an unofficial expansion for BF1942? Team SiMPLE are basically the central BF1942 community, you have the most active server, and have even created custom maps. But what about an expansion? Obviously this would be a "mod", but with the simple addition of new vehicles, weapons, nations, etc while still retaining the vanilla BF1942 vibe.

Some ideas for expansions would include:

- South East Asian theatre (Burma, Singapore, Malaya) - could feature the addition of Australia and India
- Battles in the early stages of WWII circa 1939/1940 - could feature Poland
- Greece
- Finnish Winter War
- China/Manchuria
- An Eastern front one that introduces Hungary and Romania
- Naval Battles (Malta, Leyte Gulf, others)
- Special operations
- Maybe one on amphibious assaults - choose from Tarawa, Saipan, Dieppe, Operation Sea Lion, any of the other four D-Day beaches

Your thoughts?

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2023-08-13 02:12:32

Russian MadMax
Mad cuz bad
Russia
iOS Safari 16.1

Re: Could Team SiMPLE create an unofficial expansion?

do you mean to connect the Steam community?
In addition to these people, no one else will be engaged in this game, at least, they have instilled their skills and zeal to their offspring, for the transfer of inheritance and teaching, they have already done a lot.

Last edited by Russian MadMax (2023-08-13 02:13:32)

#3 2023-09-02 22:33:59

{Phantom}
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 116.0

The issue is; no one would play it -- unless it was all server side mod, which is impossible. I suppose it is realistic enough to gain donations ($10,000 +) and issue a massive advertising campaign to garner enough foot soldiers to somewhat populate a server.. but then, why not just do it for a current mod like FH:SW that still has some players left?

With the right marketer, and unlimited funds, you could repopulate the mod to an extent.

The same goes with the game, but then -- you should probably bring something new to the table ... maybe playing the game from an internet browser, rather than having to install the game.. so -- in the end, having a populated game comes down to money.. but I'm sure most of us would rather use what money we have to better our lives and our family lives.. I do not see Bill Gates here.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 1

#4 2023-09-07 00:32:08

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 10 Firefox 117.0

I fiddled around with a software called Parsec for a while, but i couldnt get it working satisfactory so i gave up pretty quickly. Was thinking maybe it could be used to host a set of bf42 instances and/or other games.
Check it out on the link below if you are curious.

Parsec is a proprietary desktop capturing application primarily used for playing games through video streaming. Using Parsec, a user can stream video game footage through an Internet connection, allowing one to run a game on one computer but play it remotely through another device

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec_(software)

official webpage https://parsec.app/features

Last edited by bud (2023-09-07 00:36:34)

#5 2023-09-07 05:21:28

Yukikaze
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 116.0

The only World War II mod that still has an active player base is FHSW. However, it follows the Forgotten Hope style of gameplay rather than sticking to the original BF1942.

BG42 does provide a closer experience, but it has a smaller player base.

Another option is BF1941, which integrates resources from the original game and two expansion packs, creating a combat atmosphere almost identical to the original. However, BF1941 has no players and no servers.

Finding the right balance between a faithful recreation of the original BF1942 atmosphere and an active player base can indeed be a challenge in the world of modding and gaming communities.

#6 2023-09-07 19:09:56

Black Mamba
Canada
iOS Safari 16.6

{Phantom} wrote:

The issue is; no one would play it -- unless it was all server side mod, which is impossible. I suppose it is realistic enough to gain donations ($10,000 +) and issue a massive advertising campaign to garner enough foot soldiers to somewhat populate a server.. but then, why not just do it for a current mod like FH:SW that still has some players left?

With the right marketer, and unlimited funds, you could repopulate the mod to an extent.

The same goes with the game, but then -- you should probably bring something new to the table ... maybe playing the game from an internet browser, rather than having to install the game.. so -- in the end, having a populated game comes down to money.. but I'm sure most of us would rather use what money we have to better our lives and our family lives.. I do not see Bill Gates here.

If all the mods he listed are in the Datafield42 database, then all one needs to do is get that program to download the mods before joining a server. No need for an expansion pack.

#7 2023-09-12 11:45:45

Posi
Player
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 116.0

Datafield is already heavily used by a lot of players.  It also brings attention to extended content within each mod and unifies content spread across multiple download sites under one global BF1942 Banner.

New installers are available now and are being crafted with some variation and being honed into the best product possible. 

BF1942 fully patched , install in one shot.   Datafield42 included , variants include mods , reshade , borderless gaming patch. 

Long and short of it is this.   BF1942 is able to provide to provide access to it's servers with ease of install, DLC and upgraded content.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

Board footer