#1 2023-06-05 02:00:57

Black Mamba
Canada
Windows 10 Chrome 114.0

Infantry hit registrations and Battlefield 1942 versions

Would anyone happen to have the old BF1942 Patchswitcher (hopefully, a version that doesn't crash on Win 11)?

I would like to test hit regs in a 1.6 server, which from memory are much better than 1.61/1.612.

Also, from memory, v1.45 (BF1942 SW Demo) hit regs are also more consistent than 1.61/1.612. Anyone up for testing can PM me.

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2023-06-07 00:23:43

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 109.0

Re: Infantry hit registrations and Battlefield 1942 versions

Which server versions do you want to test? From reading the BF1942 changelog, I think hit system was changed from version 1.3 onwards. I don't think you need patchswitcher to play on 1.6 or 1.61 servers, because patched servers accept any client version. And how are you thinking of conducting the test?

#3 2023-06-07 01:49:31

Black Mamba
Canada
iOS Safari 16.5

It would be nice to have a comparison of the change logs for all the Battlefield 1942 versions since 1.0.

But to answer your question, hit regs would be compared between a 1.6 and 1.61 server by recording a player shooting at another player running perpendicular to the person filming. Then, in a video editor, slowing down the clip sufficiently and checking the crosshair hit indicator to see if there is any visible difference in the number of bullets hitting the running player between versions.

Both servers would need to be hosted in the same place to control for ping. Only two people are needed for this.

Last edited by Black Mamba (2023-06-07 01:51:19)

#4 2023-06-07 22:00:43

lllJANll
Player
Netherlands
Windows 10 Chrome 114.0

Black Mamba wrote:

Would anyone happen to have the old BF1942 Patchswitcher (hopefully, a version that doesn't crash on Win 11)?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/battlefield42sw/
this one gives me a  checksumm error when tis tarts bf1942.exe, i think because i use the High-Definition Remaster mod.
What you aslo could is if you install 1.6, make a copy of the battlefield bf1942, past it somwhere, and then install 1.61, the pasted bf1942 1.6 should work i think.

Changes between 1.6 and 1.61 arent big think, i gues a security fix. I gues it cuold be that 1.61 (regs) are performing less that 1.6 but i dont think its very likely becasue of its seems a small update.

I think the the regs on a windows server are better than on linux server, the linux server uses 15% cpu usage on one core, without playes or bots, bf1942_w32ded server with wine on linux usess like a few percent.

bud wrote:

as you propably know already, linux bf42 server has something running that takes ca 15% cpu constantly players or no players in it, i believe this is allocated network resources of some kind that has a fixed value. the windows version of bf42 server starts with 0% cpu
so if my theory is right the strain should be much harder on a linux machine when there is a lot of players as it cant scale up those particular resources. that being said this is just me theorising

I did some testing with some to get the the windows server on linux working with wine worknig. i tested it first without gui, the server exe worked, but the server manger not, it needs a gui, with gui, the server manger started. i dont rember why the server manager didt work corectly with the bf1942_w32ded, it could not start bf1942_w32ded or the manger could not conect with remote control. I wanted it to work on a cheap vps to get some mods running wich didt work on linux version, and test if had better regs. it wasn't going to work with a server manager so i stopped with it.

This can explane why you had beter regs back in the day, the demos didt have a linux server version, maybe when you played on 1.6 there where more windows servers, or you played most of you time on some server that where windows servers.

#5 2023-06-07 23:15:33

Black Mamba
Canada
iOS Safari 16.5

lllJANll wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/battlefield42sw/
this one gives me a  checksumm error when tis tarts bf1942.exe, i think because i use the High-Definition Remaster mod.
What you aslo could is if you install 1.6, make a copy of the battlefield bf1942, past it somwhere, and then install 1.61, the pasted bf1942 1.6 should work i think.

Changes between 1.6 and 1.61 arent big think, i gues a security fix. I gues it cuold be that 1.61 (regs) are performing less that 1.6 but i dont think its very likely becasue of its seems a small update.

I think the the regs on a windows server are better than on linux server, the linux server uses 15% cpu usage on one core, without playes or bots, bf1942_w32ded server with wine on linux usess like a few percent.

bud wrote:

as you propably know already, linux bf42 server has something running that takes ca 15% cpu constantly players or no players in it, i believe this is allocated network resources of some kind that has a fixed value. the windows version of bf42 server starts with 0% cpu
so if my theory is right the strain should be much harder on a linux machine when there is a lot of players as it cant scale up those particular resources. that being said this is just me theorising

I did some testing with some to get the the windows server on linux working with wine worknig. i tested it first without gui, the server exe worked, but the server manger not, it needs a gui, with gui, the server manger started. i dont rember why the server manager didt work corectly with the bf1942_w32ded, it could not start bf1942_w32ded or the manger could not conect with remote control. I wanted it to work on a cheap vps to get some mods running wich didt work on linux version, and test if had better regs. it wasn't going to work with a server manager so i stopped with it.

This can explane why you had beter regs back in the day, the demos didt have a linux server version, maybe when you played on 1.6 there where more windows servers, or you played most of you time on some server that where windows servers.

Interesting theory. Yes I do remember the lack of Linux servers in SW Demo.

What we could do to determine what causes hit registration differences would be to host two servers located in the same location, to control for ping. The first test will be to see if there is a difference between server versions (1.6 vs 1.61), controlled by server platform (so both servers are on Windows for example). If there is indeed a difference, then it is caused by the server version.

The second test would be the opposite: testing two different server platforms (Windows vs Linux) on the same server version to see if server platform has an effect on hit registrations. If there is a difference in hit regs, then it would be caused by the platform.

Last edited by Black Mamba (2023-06-07 23:46:29)

#6 2023-06-09 00:03:13

tuia
BFSoldier
Portugal
Website
Windows 7 Chrome 109.0

There is almost no difference from BF1942 servers v1.6 to v1.61, it was indeed released because of a security fix. Also, BF1942 Linux server v1.61 was compiled with debug information, unlike BF1942 Linux server v1.6. I don't believe you will find any difference in hit registrations between v1.6 and v1.61 because the server code is practically the same. However, there is a difference between BF1942 Windows server and BF1942 Linux server, the server code is more optimized in the Windows version, because the Windows compiler (Visual Studio) was better at the time than the Linux compiler (gcc) and they probably used optimization flags in the compilation of BF1942 Windows server, unlike BF1942 Linux version which was released as debug with no optiinizations. In addition, have in mind that the BF1942 Linux server was ported from the BF1942 Windows server code base, and there was probably some bugs introduced because of that, there is one, at least, I have noticed.

Positive reputation 2   Negative reputation 0

#7 2023-06-17 03:09:00

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 10 Firefox 114.0

tuia wrote:

There is almost no difference from BF1942 servers v1.6 to v1.61, it was indeed released because of a security fix. Also, BF1942 Linux server v1.61 was compiled with debug information, unlike BF1942 Linux server v1.6. I don't believe you will find any difference in hit registrations between v1.6 and v1.61 because the server code is practically the same. However, there is a difference between BF1942 Windows server and BF1942 Linux server, the server code is more optimized in the Windows version, because the Windows compiler (Visual Studio) was better at the time than the Linux compiler (gcc) and they probably used optimization flags in the compilation of BF1942 Windows server, unlike BF1942 Linux version which was released as debug with no optiinizations. In addition, have in mind that the BF1942 Linux server was ported from the BF1942 Windows server code base, and there was probably some bugs introduced because of that, there is one, at least, I have noticed.

I remember i stumbled over an old thread in the game developer forum, and at that time there was a high demand of a Linux server for obvious reasons (windows licensing system) but, when it finally came out there was a big dissapointment with how it performed, however this was when the max cpu speed was like maybe 800Mhz (not sure, could have been 500?) so they needed a strong server and get as much as possible out of it, well some admins remarked that they would stay on windows because they needed all the horsepower they could get.

Oh, and i think the compilers at that time favorized Intel cpu´s like a lot!

Will Intel be forced to remove the "cripple AMD" function from their compiler?
https://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49#49

#8 2023-06-17 03:31:33

Black Mamba
Canada
Windows 10 Chrome 114.0

So essentially, what I get from this topic is the server version has nothing to do with differences in hit registrations, the OS does.

Board footer