#1 2012-10-28 01:26:51

privateballs
Player

Lecter Vsync Stuff

I'm no expert at this, but this is what I know:

Vsync means more or less = Vertical Synchronization
Meaning in nerd terms: It's how fast your computer monitor refreshes your screen. Whether that will help you in your lag or not, I don't know, but here is a tip anyway.

To explain this phenomenon, I'll dumb it down like this:

In fucking europe we have 25fps in our TV devices. Meaning we have 50hz in our electrical sockets (that means even you Lecter).
The Americans (and faglords, such as south africans..) for example have 30 fps in their TV broadcast, meaning they have 60Hz in their power outlet.

So, what do I mean with that? Simple. It's how many frames of film/movement/computergaming is displayed per second on your monitor/TV screen whatever,

Now..

We computermupps are not bound to this 25/30 shiz. Our fps (frames pers second) are limited to the:

1. Computer screen we have bought
2. To the 3d card we have installed in our computer

By default whatever computer and 3d card you may have, you have VERTICAL SYNC ON by default.
This means you have limited your (fps) or frames per second to the amount of 80/90 fps wich means in this case a "locked value".
This is good for alot of reasons, but hardcore gamers wishes to turn this value OFF for 'that little extra' benefit/difference they recieve out of it.

Vertical Sync OFF means pretty much you have the availability to go into your 3d card and turn it OFF (meaning it is not locked to a locked value, it means you are not bound to this 80/90 value, but you can change to whatever number you want, like 999 fps for example)

The higher number the smoother game. Having FRAPS installed on your computer in this case is good tool to check/see what your FPS really is..

----

So, in turn to do this easiest way:

Go desktop
rightlick, properties
Go to screen resolution
Go to your 3d card settings
Find and set your vsync OFF

Probrem solved.

(If you cant find it, it simply means you have the shittiest 3d card ever installed and have no option to do so. But even so I suggest you go to your 3d card manufactor and downoload tools in order to gain control of such features)

---

This has some impact on your gaming, depending on what type of game you play. Believe me I know, I am part of other scenes/games other than BF. This have MAJOR difference in games like elastomania for example. And world records etc. Dunno bout BF.. But worth a try,

/Drunk as f*ck Balls

Last edited by privateballs (2012-10-28 14:08:16)

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2012-10-28 14:16:13

Lecter

Re: Lecter Vsync Stuff

Thx Balls! I did it but I had to go to my NVidia control panel to change it. Vsync off now but i see alot of other stuff that can be changed...dunno what else to tweak or if its really needed

#3 2012-10-28 16:04:16

privateballs
Player

Well, that depends - what is your problem with bf in general? There are tons of ways out there to tweak your game, either by:

1. The nvidia control panel (I have nvidia too)
2. Download external programs to specify your fps (when you have it Vsync OFF it will be automatically the highest number possible on your monitor without specified control)
3. By going into the bf .txt files and change the values here n there..

I am no expert on this at all, so I generally piss around with settings here and there until I get something that works for me. Google bf1942 + (insert question) and you will probably find somebody with the same problem as you have on some forum. There is ALWAYS somebody who had it before you.

Note: The only thing turning off Vsync does is allowing the screen to refresh the game at higher numbers than default with Vsync ON, giving it a smoother look. Over a certain number the result is not visible to your eyes I guess, like above 200? But you can go to 999 or something like that, and for some games or certain scenarios the game will "behave" a little different, giving advantages or disadvantages on minor things (like racing games or something like that).

Somebody correct me on this.

Last edited by privateballs (2012-10-28 16:09:27)

#4 2012-10-29 10:06:12

RamYam
Croatia

hi balls,

just to add one question, i play on hp laptop and conect to monitor via DVI out, monitor is full hd (23inch,widescreen), will this vsync setting to off have result when using that monitor?
many thanks

#5 2012-10-29 19:22:17

privateballs
Player

Hm.. I'm more familiar with racing and click-n-react games where milliseconds matter where this comes into play. Don't know too much about fps games, but biggest noticable difference is ofcourse the difference between Vsync ON (limiting your fps to a low number) and Vsync OFF (allowing higher numbers for smoother refreshing)

As for DVI output, I'm guessing you mean a computer monitor? I for example have a 40inch LCD TV, I have a DVI hooked up to it from my graphic card mirroring my PC screen, but mostly for youtube and movies. But when playing games I can tell/feel a 30-50ping lag between my regular monitor and the LCD one. I even have them both next to eachother and can tell when moving around. It's hard as nails to "see it", but you can certainly feel it (like lag). Whether vsync has anything to do with this I don't know. Maybe it does (since the TV is limited to 50/60hz whatever while my computer CRT is not).

But there's also the technical difference if you have a CRT (cathrode ray tube) monitor or a LED/Plasma/LCD when you fiddle around with the vsync. Personally I still favor my big ass heavy CRT since those give off the best picture any day.

As for everything just slap that google and enter whatever keywords you may have regarding your problem, and I'm sure there will be detailed explanation from somebody who has more free time than me on these matters. It's a fucking compatibility jungle, like anything with computers/technology nowadays.

Last edited by privateballs (2012-10-29 19:23:28)

#6 2012-10-30 09:59:10

RamYam
Croatia

privateballs wrote:

Hm.. I'm more familiar with racing and click-n-react games where milliseconds matter where this comes into play. Don't know too much about fps games, but biggest noticable difference is ofcourse the difference between Vsync ON (limiting your fps to a low number) and Vsync OFF (allowing higher numbers for smoother refreshing)

As for DVI output, I'm guessing you mean a computer monitor? I for example have a 40inch LCD TV, I have a DVI hooked up to it from my graphic card mirroring my PC screen, but mostly for youtube and movies. But when playing games I can tell/feel a 30-50ping lag between my regular monitor and the LCD one. I even have them both next to eachother and can tell when moving around. It's hard as nails to "see it", but you can certainly feel it (like lag). Whether vsync has anything to do with this I don't know. Maybe it does (since the TV is limited to 50/60hz whatever while my computer CRT is not).

But there's also the technical difference if you have a CRT (cathrode ray tube) monitor or a LED/Plasma/LCD when you fiddle around with the vsync. Personally I still favor my big ass heavy CRT since those give off the best picture any day.

As for everything just slap that google and enter whatever keywords you may have regarding your problem, and I'm sure there will be detailed explanation from somebody who has more free time than me on these matters. It's a fucking compatibility jungle, like anything with computers/technology nowadays.

Thanks balls, will try

Board footer