#1 2019-04-28 15:43:13

Netherlands
Unknown Firefox 66.0

Joystick and gamepad topic

Last week i been playing around with a dual analog joystick again in BF1942.

This time i been very succesful in setting it up using two tools.

I wonder are there any other people here playing with joysticks?

What do u do? Only fly planes? I love it for jeep runs...

What tools do you use?

I will share later my setup if i find any interest here about this topic on Simple.

P.s. i have to warn you, even tho it is a powerful setup: i can make moves keyboard/mouse people cant do. But it is a pain in the ass to free urself in this game from the keyboard and mouse. It took me many hours to map and set all keys so i can controll every small part in the game. Note the gamepad i use has 14 buttons and two analog sticks. I had to make profiles for land/sea/inf and common use.  One key i use to swap during gameplay between profiles and my scripts.

Last edited by iCQ (2019-04-28 15:46:25)

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2019-04-28 17:33:15

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 73.0

Re: Joystick and gamepad topic

The best would be an old Joystick, connected to the Gameport of an old Soundblaster

I can't handle those digital Joysticks, even when they have an analog Stick/Modus.

It's not the same. At least for me.

And for those Config Tools i don't have the nerves to do that smile

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#3 2019-04-28 17:33:55

Netherlands
Linux Vivaldi 2.4

The setup i been most successful with is:

Software:

1 ubuntu (no matter what version linux u use actually)
2 wine + bf1942
3 qjoypad (to make different profiles for games and also desktop apps)
4 jstest-gtk (u can also use the QT version if you not use GNOME desktop or KDE/XFCE)

jstest i use to calibrate and swap analog sticks when needed.

Anyone have any luck with doing this in windows? What are the most powerful tools you used there?

Hardware:

1 OKER Gamepad (cheap chinese wireless bluetooth) BT-050
2 Logitech Presenter Professional R700

9090360-5536eb2cbe5e1765e62e5f071ba0faff.jpg

and for extra's i use this one:
u_10024980.jpg

Last edited by iCQ (2019-04-28 17:57:20)

#4 2019-04-28 17:52:28

Netherlands
Linux Vivaldi 2.4

Arkos wrote:

The best would be an old Joystick, connected to the Gameport of an old Soundblaster

I can't handle those digital Joysticks, even when they have an analog Stick/Modus.

It's not the same. At least for me.

And for those Config Tools i don't have the nerves to do that smile

That is how i did this many years ago... AND this is how i start to love it!

I think it been like 10 years ago. A buddy of mine who is not good with computers bought the steering wheel from Logitech:
g27-racing-wheel.png

We had to use it by gameport on his sound blaster. He asked if we could also use it in BF1942 instead of need for speed and such.

You should not ask a computer geek like me such a question of course! Yes it is possible... the question is HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE IT WORK? lol

Anyway... after a day messing around we got it to work in BF1942 but it was only usable really inside vehicles like a JEEP or such.

We had many crates of beer, two PC's and BF1942 installs and MANY MANY nights of plain fun!

What we did? We made a plan of teamwork. He was medic and i engineer... he was the doctor... and i was the chauffeur. Racing around the map whole night (half drunk) picking up and dropping people. Only get score by flag cap skills as i not even exit the jeep or apc... i rather kill you by driving over you! lol

Also he managed to fly a plane (zero plane) quite well with this stick but when he exit and parachute he/we had to go back to mouse/keyboard.

That problem i have fixed now! (only i still miss the 'exact' mouse aim as inf.).

Last edited by iCQ (2019-04-28 17:56:59)

#5 2019-04-28 18:01:37

Netherlands
Linux Vivaldi 2.4

qjoypad screens:
qjoypad-screenshot.jpg

lirc11.jpg

928.png

tZfAF.png

Some jstest-gtk screens:
c027b05b-4c9a-e211-845a-0025902c7e73_1_full.png?format=jpg&width=1200&height=1200&mode=crop&upscale=false

Last edited by iCQ (2019-04-28 18:02:01)

#6 2019-04-28 18:08:42

Netherlands
Linux Vivaldi 2.4

Now i have to tell Tuia again. Nice server, nice board and all...

But kid... seriously... let people edit their own words/posts already! This forum is crippled by some weird "control freak" way that people cannot edit their own posts after a few minutes.

I know many forum owners gave me many reasons for NOT give the power to the people. Mostly they cry about a "thread" not readable anymore if someone deletes a post. Well... sometimes someone tries to make a post MORE readable too!

Very immature and stupid to "lock" forum posts. And now with the new European laws you have the right to "forget". You brake law by not let people unregister or delete their online content!

And yes... by law... whatever i write is MY property... not yours!

I wanted to add some info in the first post... but this board is just... well... dude... annoying! Asocial...

The addition i wanted to make to the first post: (maybe some moderator can correct the first post)
5 some hard coding in the /lib/udev/hwdb.d/60-keyboard.hwdb and such files (with swap-mapping scripts i made).

Now i also have to add Tuia... nice PHP cleanup you did on this bb! lol

Last edited by iCQ (2019-04-28 18:12:07)

#7 2019-04-28 22:32:22

Netherlands
Linux Vivaldi 2.4

damn i cant organize this forum thread the way i wanted it to be, bummer

#8 2019-10-27 23:44:51

Netherlands
Unknown Firefox 68.0

i had to share this crazy gadget:
https://youtu.be/wOSmrpw89SI

#9 2019-10-28 09:01:33

PipeR
Australia
Windows 10 Microsoft Edge 18.18362

iCQ wrote:

Now i have to tell Tuia again. Nice server, nice board and all...

But kid... seriously... let people edit their own words/posts already! This forum is crippled by some weird "control freak" way that people cannot edit their own posts after a few minutes.

I know many forum owners gave me many reasons for NOT give the power to the people. Mostly they cry about a "thread" not readable anymore if someone deletes a post. Well... sometimes someone tries to make a post MORE readable too!

Very immature and stupid to "lock" forum posts. And now with the new European laws you have the right to "forget". You brake law by not let people unregister or delete their online content!

Now i also have to add Tuia... nice PHP cleanup you did on this bb! lol

I think some one is obsessed with this and needs to chill lol pretty sure you are the only one who has a problem with this tongue

#10 2019-10-28 10:08:05

seventy
Playor
North Korea
Ubuntu Firefox 70.0

PipeR wrote:

I think some one is obsessed with this and needs to chill lol pretty sure you are the only one who has a problem with this tongue

smiley-lol.gif

#11 2021-01-11 00:30:45

Frank(Ger)
Administrator
Germany
Windows 10 Firefox 84.0

Hello Pilots,

does anyone know a USB or PS2 joystick available on the market that works uncomplicated with BF1942 under Win10 (home)?
My father does model flying and wants to play BF1942 too but he doesn't want to use keyboard for flying since it behaves differently.
On the model flying control he has two little joysticks(of which he mainly uses the right one) und i thought he could fly with mouse but it's not the same either.

Can you recommend somthing?

What about this ones?:
https://www.amazon.de/Original-Speedlin … BP8TR8X6RB

https://www.amazon.de/Thrustmaster-2960 … BP8TR8X6RB

https://www.banggood.com/de/PXN-PXN-211 … gIGLPD_BwE

https://www.voelkner.de/products/264331 … gLcXPD_BwE

thank you in advance
frank

#12 2021-01-11 15:53:00

s/w
Player
Windows 10 Chrome 77.0

I had that PXN once,  it was stiff like a wood.  You can't aim precisely with that, especially at infantry. 1 little move with that stick, and your plane over-turnes. I wouldn't reccomend it at all.

I think the one Vertigo had suggested, is probably the easiest joystick to get used to.  Altho,  many people complain about the reliability being low.  Mine lasted around a year,  but some have lasted over 5 years for other people.  The plus about this practicular stick is that it has a software for adjusting the sensitivity, and is easy to fly with.  Many pilots that I know,  including DraGo use/have used this stick in BF42.

But if you wan't something more on the reliable side, and surgical-precision, you should get a joystick with hall-sensors.

One example of that would be  the Airbus A320 TCA Side Stick by Thrustmaster.

Can't recall, but I think this one had hall-sensors even on the rudder, which is not very common. It should last you for ages.

However,  it's a bit more expensive than the 3d pro and it's a bit harder to get used to. The handle is also larger, which makes it more suitable for flight-simulators.

Joysticks with large handles are not practicularly the best for fast-action arcade games like BF42,  because with larger handles  your acceleration will be slower.

Here's a good tip for you, and for every joystick user:

If  you own a joystick with potentiometers, (such as the 3d pro)  make sure it's not plugged in the PC when not in use. The reason being the constant flow of electricity, will degrade the potentiometers much quicker.

But if you own a joystick with hall-sensors, you wouldn't have  have to worry about this, because electricity will not flow unless you move the stick.

#13 2021-01-12 22:13:03

Frank(Ger)
Administrator
Germany
Windows 10 Firefox 84.0

That sounds good, your proposals will be translated smile

#14 2021-02-22 21:25:48

Frank(Ger)
Administrator
Germany
Windows 10 Firefox 85.0

We ordered the Logitech EXTREME 3D Pro, it meanwhile arrived and was easy to put into service for BF1942 without extra Software.

Thanks a lot!

#15 2021-02-23 00:55:43

LegioX.DoubTi/Mourits
Administrator
Denmark
Windows 10 Chrome 88.0

Frank(Ger) wrote:

We ordered the Logitech EXTREME 3D Pro, it meanwhile arrived and was easy to put into service for BF1942 without extra Software.

Thanks a lot!

I have always used the Logitech joystick and never used any software either, but I can recommend using "joytokey" so u can use the top hatch to look around in the cockpit windows

Board footer