#1 2018-11-14 14:16:15

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

slow nfs share in windows

Anybody have any advise how to speed up windows slow nfs handling?

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#2 2018-11-14 14:44:48

Trench
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 70.0

Re: slow nfs share in windows

I don't do NFS access from Windows... what is the nature of how NFS access is being performed?  e.g. Just a desktop application doing its own thing over winsock (like Filezilla), or something that integrates with Windows file system APIs by installing a network provider and network redirector that supports NFS?

For the latter, slowness in multiple-redirector environments can come from Windows trying to prove that the UNC to an NFS server you provided is not a Microsoft DFS root and/or is not for one of the other installed network redirectors or providers.  Enabling the Microsoft "DisableDFS" policy can help the first part, and configuring the Windows Network Provider Order to push your NFS network provider higher in the order can mitigate the second part.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#3 2018-11-14 14:50:05

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 70.0

#4 2018-11-14 20:32:24

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Thanks for the suggestions, gonna check it out.
The thing is that windows remote desktop use the nfs protocol if i understand it right, and its just so painfully slow (1Mb speed max), both in negotiating the connection and in the transmission itself. I found that one way of getting around the slow transmission speed, is to open up multiple "channels" a bit like the torrent protocol, but standard software doesnt have the means to use this. I would have to build some collect/cache thingy to use inbetween. Much to complex.

remote.jpg

#5 2018-11-14 21:26:14

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 70.0

Like this?

MaxConcurrentConnectionsPerIp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rpcxdr\Parameters\MaxConcurrentConnectionsPerIp

The default value of the MaxConcurrentConnectionsPerIp parameter is 16. You can increase this value up to a maximum of 8192 to increase the number of connections per IP address.

Btw. All those tweaks for NFS from Microsoft are for below protocol 4.1

> No registry tuning is required for NFS v4.1 protocol.

Could it be, that HaneWinNFS handles this the same way? A License is 19.- for privat use, 29.- for commercial.

I guess, if you go through Microsofts NFS Performance Tipps, you can get the same result as with HaneWinNFS.

HanewinNfs has a 30 day Trial time. (Shareware)

https://www.hanewin.net/nfs-e.htm

(Multithreaded implemenation with a configurable number of UDP server threads and one thread per TCP connection.)

Last edited by Arkos (2018-11-14 22:04:26)

#6 2018-11-14 23:56:26

Trench
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 70.0

bud wrote:

The thing is that windows remote desktop use the nfs protocol if i understand it right...

Hmm, that is not something I would have suspected, or have ever heard referenced, nor see supported in Microsoft documentation regarding the RDP protocol.  Drive redirection, which has been there since the XP version of RDP, happens over the RDP protocol itself to my knowledge.  Any pointers to where you saw the suggestion that NFS is being employed as part of RDP drive redirection?

There is a network provider involved, but at least on my Windows 10 machines, the "Microsoft Remote Desktop Session Host Server Network Provider" is already at the top of the network provider order by default.  If it's not already at the top on your machine, no harm in pushing that to the top of the order just to make sure it doesn't have any substantial effect.  (This would be on the machine you're Remote Desktop'ing into; not on the machine you're running the MSTSC.EXE client on.)

But I don't expect that's the issue; at best it could only improve the initial connection time, but won't/can't have any effect on the sustained transfer rate.

Remote Desktop drive redirection multiplexes through the RDP connection itself, and "is just slow" in my experience.  The opportunity to speed it up is to NOT use RDP drive redirection, and instead make your RDP client machine and RDP host machine access the files in question through a network-accessible share that both computers can access.  Not because their connection bandwidth to that share will be any greater or different than the bandwidth they already had access to; but because they won't be using the RDP protocol to redirect the file system access.

In other words, put the files on a CIFS share of the RDP host machine, and access/push files to that share over CIFS/SMB rather than over RDP.  RDP file system redirection and printer redirection is made for convenience and not performance, in my opinion and experience.  Not that that's helpful information.

#7 2018-11-15 00:25:36

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 70.0

Yes, Windows Remote Desktop useses RDP

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window … hosts#apps

Possible fix?

http://www.johndstech.com/2017/microsof … em-solved/

Last edited by Arkos (2018-11-15 00:26:30)

#8 2018-11-15 05:53:25

Netherlands
Windows 7 Vivaldi 2.1

Long time ago i used NFS and RDP. That time all i did to boost was allow it to make/use more connections/ports with the MaxConcurrentConnections value and such (also make sure the firewall/routers lets it happen).

Now i like the NX protocol a lot more. Of course vnc been there too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_technology
https://www.nomachine.com
https://www.nomachine.com/download

NoMachine and other applications lets you secure (SSH) connect to desktops, devices and files. Beware on older Android devices you have to enable "install from unknown sources" and get the official Android APK from the NoMachine website.

SFTP is not going to help you either i think, samba, active directories... i dunno what u doing. Im sorry, i cant help much here. Have you thought about setting up a VPN at that box?

Last edited by iCQ (2018-11-15 05:56:13)

#9 2018-11-15 14:50:59

nämeless
Semi-corrupt admin
Russia
Windows 8 Firefox 63.0

bud wrote:

Try this.

https://yadi.sk/d/Yd0946GQiPKXp

#10 2018-11-15 17:25:42

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Arkos wrote:

Testing!! smile

#11 2018-11-15 17:27:37

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

nämeless wrote:
bud wrote:

Try this.

https://yadi.sk/d/Yd0946GQiPKXp

Will do!

#12 2018-11-16 11:35:46

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Trench wrote:

In other words, put the files on a CIFS share of the RDP host machine, and access/push files to that share over CIFS/SMB rather than over RDP.  RDP file system redirection and printer redirection is made for convenience and not performance, in my opinion and experience.  Not that that's helpful information.

Well yes it is good advice, the problem in my case also is when i try to stitch together different boxes over internet, some running Linux and some windows hmm

#13 2018-11-16 22:14:26

Trench
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 70.0

Sure, understandable.  My main concern/response was to the statement "The thing is that windows remote desktop use the nfs protocol if i understand it right".  Since to my knowledge the answer is "No, RDP does not use NFS to perform file system redirection", and therefore doing specifically NFS-related speed-up things with the expectation it would improve RDP file system redirection seemed misguided.

If CIFS/SMB isn't an option (not that Linux is unable to connect to CIFS/SMB shares), the analog to what I was suggesting is that you would change the Windows machine acting as the Remote Desktop host to connect to the shared files host directly on it's own.  Instead of mapping to the shared files host on your Remote Desktop client machine, and then expecting Remote Desktop file system redirection to pass-through that file system access to the Remote Desktop host machine.  (Since I presume that's the meaning of the screen shot you posted of Remote Desktop Connection's drive redirection.)

That specifically CIFS/SMB would be used instead wasn't important; the important part was not "doubly-redirecting" by sending the shared file system access through the extra layer of RDP file system redirection.  It's damn convenient to do it that way, but not fast.

#14 2018-11-16 22:38:51

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 70.0

The main thought/use of those shares was sharing wide, not fast.

I guess you can speed up each share, not depending on the OS, becasue i don't think, (in your case), xxx people must/will have access at the same time.

#15 2018-11-16 23:21:42

bud
maestro
Website
Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Tried the links Arkos posted and the remote desktop actually feels alot faster now, 25% of networkspeed in lan, but it was just a quicktest with an old machine, so it can propably work even better with some ssd-drives. So overall much better smile

I dont know why i mixed it up with nfs with RDP, propably a brain fart or something.

I think if i want to use windows CIFS/SMB with linux´s Samba share, im gonna need a vpn tunnel so they can be within the same network range, and then it getting a bit much pieces as i already have other vpn networks for other uses.

Last edited by bud (2018-11-16 23:23:44)

Board footer