#1 2019-10-24 23:52:00

Sepp
Player
England
Windows 7 Firefox 69.0

Map imbalance: Aberdeen

My observations after years of playing Aberdeen are that there is a map imbalance that favors Allied over Axis. For map/flag locations I am using the Axis perspective/view to describe the Axis/Allied "home flags" being the ones they are expected to control or naturally "belonging" to them.

Reasons:

1) The middle of the map with the center flag which is usually key to victory is much more easily defended for Allies than Axis because of the terrain on the Allied side of the city blocks is flat whereas on the opposite Axis side of the city blocks the terrain is uneven. Also, the rearmost city block which houses the ammunition lockers both below and above on the upper floor is on a raised platform of terrain with a flat surface on the Allied side. This gives a stable platform, cover, ammunition resupply for Allied tanks defending, and a clear view of Axis West flag to shoot at. Axis has no equivalent building on their side of the city.

2) Above and behind Axis West flag is far safer ambush point than it is for Axis tanks above and behind Allied East flag - Allied tanks can vulture on West flag knowing the terrain to their right flank (the direction flow of Axis tanks leaving base) shields them, whereas Axis tanks that attempt to vulture Allied East flag have their rear exposed to the flow of Allied tanks leaving base.

3) Allies can capture Axis South flag from the pad. And Axis West flag, from the pad. This cannot be done by Axis to either Allied North flag, or East flag.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

#2 2019-10-25 00:24:40

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 77.0

Re: Map imbalance: Aberdeen

It's good as it is.

If the team plays really as a team, it does not matter how many strong players the opponents have.

We demonstrated that many times.

Sometimes you have to accept situations like they are.

Even if you sit in a Tiger and believes your Mates have to support only you smile

On the other side you forget to retake a flag the situation changes. (FlagCapArea).

Last edited by Arkos (2019-10-25 00:27:31)

Positive reputation 0   Negative reputation 0

#3 2019-10-25 06:47:18

Insane
Player
Ukraine
Android Chrome 77.0

The only imbalance there is if the Arkos in-game wink lol

#4 2019-10-25 13:28:51

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 77.0

Insane wrote:

The only imbalance there is if the Arkos in-game wink lol

Arkos is a Noob      Image BBCode test

@Sepp

If you wanna play 1 vs 1, 2vs 2 etc. then you can go on my server too.

There are several TankMaps installed.  (No Rep-Pod).

> Download this mappack > https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down … XBzVUlUUkE

(They belong into > "...\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Archives\bf1942\levels")

Then go on the server and vote for as example "TL Tank Arena".

Last edited by Arkos (2019-10-25 13:50:28)

#5 2019-10-25 14:15:09

nämeless
Semi-corrupt admin
Russia
Android Chrome 77.0

Aberdeen is just perfect.

#6 2019-10-25 17:26:50

Player
Windows XP Firefox 52.0

if sepp means aberdeen in simple fra and not simple tanks a lot, then hes completely wrong

axis wins around 70 % of all rounds in aberdeen in simple fra, ticketwise, mostly due to stacking to axis

it should be close to 50/50

moddingwise, i see nothing wrong with current deen in simple fra, except lack of light tanks in both mains, under some circumstances

Last edited by 000 (2019-10-25 17:43:38)

#7 2019-10-25 17:56:50

Arkos
Sedmin
Switzerland
Windows 7 Chrome 77.0

To win Aberdeen it needs also people who "take" middle flag and defend it with zooks.

I remember a round, Lati and me played as Axis with ouer team against ~40 Noobs on allies side.

We had completly no chance, because there were about 20 Allied Zookers smile at west and middle and south.

As soon we showed up, 5-7 zooks flew against each of us. big_smile

Fun to watch and Lati meant, "You teached them!"

BFSoldier 1 wrote:

Axis wins around 70 % of all rounds in aberdeen in simple fra, ticketwise, mostly due to stacking to axis.

Those must be the rounds where i don't play smile

Last edited by Arkos (2019-10-25 17:59:18)

#8 2019-10-25 19:02:37

Bad Actor
What Have The Romans Ever Done For Us?
England
Windows 7 Chrome 78.0

It's strange that the centre flag is key to winning this map given that it spawns no vehicles but I guess is almost a border post between Axis and Allies that depending on who owns it can control (with zooks) enemy traffic passing through.

I've seen it 50 - 50, either the Allies park their tanks on the front lawn of Axis base or vice versa.

Key to winning Aberdeen is intelligent scouts spotting but sadly there are not many of those.

Oh, and of course an intelligent APC driver who can park up in the right places out of sight and have the sense to remain in the vehicle so it does not become visible to the enemy.
Seen quite a few good APC drivers on all maps actually.

Last edited by Bad Actor (2019-10-25 19:33:51)

#9 2019-10-25 19:38:51

Cicero_01
United States
Windows 10 Chrome 77.0

I'm sure that Sepp is describing the situation as he sees it on Tanks-A-Lot since that's the only server he plays on, except for when he can convince someone to do a 1 vs 1 with him. I do agree with him on the points he makes, though. Still, who wins on that map depends on the skills of the players. Axis can end up locking the Allies in their base pretty much as easily as the reverse, based on my same number of years experience. Axis just needs to pay attention to the City and South flags. Occasional pot shots should be taken at the city whether you can see an enemy in the building or not. TK is off so this tactic is important to remember. South also needs to be watched more carefully than I see Axis doing far too often. The better players will know this and if playing  Axis they will negate the terrain advantage that Allies do appear to have.
Sepp only plays Axis (with very rare exceptions) and he is often responsible for giving an advantage to Allies when he either quits altogether or relegates himself to a Wespe parked on the ridge leading South. Even though he is good with the wespe,  this skews the round results in favor of Allies. If he would just use tanks he'd be much more effective. At least the Wespe on the ridge does contribute to Axis defense. Whack-A-Mole helps a bit...

#10 2019-10-26 14:07:47

Sepp
Player
England
Windows 7 Firefox 70.0

Arkos I will play you 1vs1 on your servers Aberdeen map. No other map has ever interested me because I find it perfect, except for the advantages that favor Allied team. However, in 1vs1 these are largely negated. Having said this, I don't want the post thread to be a messaging service for me to play members 1vs1 (that can be done with a PM). I would rather the discussion was on the subject.

#11 2019-10-27 03:30:16

Sepp
Player
England
Windows 7 Firefox 70.0

Not much can be done to correct the imbalance so it's something that has to be lived with, but in sumarry

Reason 1) gives Allies a built in strategic bonus.
Reason 2) gives Allies who know about it a tactical advantage.
Reason 3) gives Allies a tactical advantage that converts into a strategic advantage.

Positive reputation 1   Negative reputation 0

Board footer